Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2004 9:09:00 PM EDT
  Well guys I think I fried my hard drive, I woke up in the middle of the night to goto the bathroom and as I was getting up i kicked over a glass of water on my A21m laptop, Dont know what to do I keep trying to reinstall XP but keep getting a operating system not found, hard drive not installed. What should I do?

Thanks
Justin
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
How long ago was this?

You need to let the electronics dry out before even attempting to run electricity through the machine.   If you ran it while it was wet, you may have fried the driver controller.  Not sure what to tell you other than that.  Any one else?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a blowdryer to dry it out, maybe I should send it to IBM?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you call IBM download and run the "Drive FItness Test" (DFT). Tech support will make you run it before they do anything else.

If your hard drive is not even recognized by the BIOS DFT will not start because it cant find any drives to run against. If your drive is recognized and DFT runs it will complete with an error code.

Code 00 means nothing is wrong
Anything else is bad

If your drive is in fact dead and you convince IBM Tech Support of this, ask them to also send you the factory image cd's that came with your laptop, if you do not have them.

I hope you are under warranty. If not, you can get bigger faster cheaper drives elsewhere.
IBM parts are so overpriced.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
well guys im screwed, My hard drives fried and ibm wont do anything about it so i need a hard drive,I need a really cheap hard drive because i am on an extremely tight budget. can you guys help me?

Thanks
Justin
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Want a 2.1g?

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I need around a 10-20 gig unless you want to give me one ;)

Justin
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The 2.1 was free.  I've got a 10 not being used if you want to trade somethin for it.  AR mags or whatever.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I would take the ten, I have some mags, i will email you!

Thanks
Justin
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top