Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2021 9:08:05 PM EDT
Had new house built three years ago, No internet service in area other than Centruylink copper phone wire only providing up to 25MBS. It's the 21st Century and this area is not that new. Tried to get Xfinity internet and they say they do not have lines in the area yet they have them three blocks away providing 800+ MBS. Called for the last three years and they said no service to my neighborhood due to lack of customers. . 15 houses here with TWENTY just built in the last year so I call Xifinty again, the guys says YES, we can give you service not. I sign up for the highest speed possible and an install date of next week. Get a call today stating they do not provide service in my neighborhood. Why all the fuck games? This is getting fucking stupid. It's 2021 and I can't even get faster internet than what they get in the Hood? These internet providers are MOTHERFUCKERS!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't need internet. It's all a waste of goddamn time. Go back to the days of dialup, when you would use newsgroups, and wait for that pixelated titty to resolve into something you might put in the spank bank.

Or convert to being Amish. You do you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You're crying over a 25 mbs connection?

Try living with a T1 and 1.5 mbs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I am. I have a teen in HS learning from home and a wife who works remotely three days a week. I want the best internet possible for my family and myself and in this day and age I should be able to get it since neighbors 1200 yards away get 800+ MBS. This is not the Stone Age and this area is not the ass end of creation for shit sake! How hard is it for a billion dollar industry to install 1200 yards of cable and reach more customers for more money?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the fucked up situation that is telecommunications in the US.

There's a reason why so many cities are going the municipal fiber route.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Just remember, there's a "lot of competition" so there's no reason to "let" cities/towns start up their own networks.  And we can stop new companies coming in, because reasons.

Can you get fixed wireless?  Can't remember what speed we have, but it's night and day better than the legacy satellite connections.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, I am. I have a teen in HS learning from home and a wife who works remotely three days a week. I want the best internet possible for my family and myself and in this day and age I should be able to get it since neighbors 1200 yards away get 800+ MBS. This is not the Stone Age and this area is not the ass end of creation for shit sake! How hard is it for a billion dollar industry to install 1200 yards of cable and reach more customers for more money?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

StarLink is probably your best bet, but Florida is probably not available today, or in the very near future.

Are any of those neighbors that can get service visible from your house?
If so, you might be able to do what I did for years, which is to find someone willing to share their connection, or possibly agree to work with you to find a way to get a second service installed (for lodger/ renter / whatever it takes). Then use Unbiquity equipment to set up a microwave link back to your house.

I was doing something similar for the past 20 years, until last year, when Comcast finally got their act together to be able to provide reliable service to my house (took some cable laying, and about six weeks before it all worked correctly).
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like your only solution is to start a WISP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
High speed internet is but a pipe dream for me.

Until starlink become mobile capable I have never options other than cellular
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
How is your T-Mobile coverage?

T-Mobile Internet
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had new house built three years ago, No internet service in area other than Centruylink copper phone wire only providing up to 25MBS. It's the 21st Century and this area is not that new. Tried to get Xfinity internet and they say they do not have lines in the area yet they have them three blocks away providing 800+ MBS. Called for the last three years and they said no service to my neighborhood due to lack of customers. . 15 houses here with TWENTY just built in the last year so I call Xifinty again, the guys says YES, we can give you service not. I sign up for the highest speed possible and an install date of next week. Get a call today stating they do not provide service in my neighborhood. Why all the fuck games? This is getting fucking stupid. It's 2021 and I can't even get faster internet than what they get in the Hood? These internet providers are MOTHERFUCKERS!
View Quote

Why would you build a house where there was inadequate internet service if internet service is that important to you?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Find a way to put a ubiquiti antena 1200 yds away, pretty common.
Employer has two buildings on same street, only one has fiber internet. We setup ubiquiti on the roof of both so both have fiber.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome to the fucked up situation that is telecommunications in the US.

There's a reason why so many cities are going the municipal fiber route.

View Quote

There's plenty of telecom in the US.

It's in the cities, where all1 the customers are.  It's in the suburbs, where the rest and more affluent customers are.

I feel for you OP.  As others have posted StarLink may be a solution real soon.  HugesNet may be an option too.

Municipal Internet?  Sounds like Big City Thinking and Big City Taxes.

--
1Statistically speaking.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why would you build a house where there was inadequate internet service if internet service is that important to you?
View Quote

I'm guessing because COVID, remote learning and telecommuting weren't such an issue THREE YEARS AGO?

Needs change based upon circumstances - some of which are beyond one's control...
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...IMHO, I would love to have a 25 MBA connection. Not an option here so I roll with my 750kbs. And I work from home on a VPN with only minor issues.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hold on.

I had 20/10 service up until a couple of months ago.

Had no problems with three kids on Chromebooks using Zoom / Google Meet for half the day while I was VPN'ed and RDP'ed into work, not to mention my wife's intermittent usage (though she was mostly tied to the youngest during the day) and two DVRs that were both recording two channels pretty much 24/7.

Don't get sucked into some weird "keeping up with the Jones'" trap; unless you have a real problem beyond "I just want THE BEST" this is not something to stress over.

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I have AT&T fixed wireless, where I live satellite is the only other option. I'm happy with it, does everything I need.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wish CenturyLink would provide 25 megabytes in my area. My DSL gives me about 6. Luckily I have a sprint/ T-Mobile tower in sight and I get about 200mbs down on my hockey puck. It's less than $50 a month for unlimited, no throttle, if you buy a Year's worth from Calyx Institute. And it should be even faster once they get 5G in my area and I upgrade thoughtspot do a 5G

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Our Rural - and I mean Rural - Electric Co-Op ran fiber to every member's home.  I'm putting them in my will.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#20]
There are people out there that would love to 25mbps - me included.

You chose where to build the house.  It is no ones fault but your own.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Fpni
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got to ask..... where in FL do you live that it's an issue?

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Our Rural - and I mean Rural - Electric Co-Op ran fiber to every member's home.  I'm putting them in my will.  
View Quote

That would be amazing! We live in BFE too and I would love it if our Co-Op would do that.

Dial up/ cellular/ satellite is all that is available at my parents house in Shannon County.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That would be amazing! We live in BFE too and I would love it if our Co-Op would do that.

Dial up/ cellular/ satellite is all that is available at my parents house in Shannon County.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given my line of work (computer stuff) and hobbies (small farming), I'd seriously consider moving to this area if I didn't already live here.

Don't get me wrong, we paid our dues.  Years of living with dialup, and eventually satellite (yech) took its toll.  The day they lit up the fiber was (no exaggeration) life-changing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's plenty of telecom in the US.

It's in the cities, where all1 the customers are.  It's in the suburbs, where the rest and more affluent customers are.

I feel for you OP.  As others have posted StarLink may be a solution real soon.  HugesNet may be an option too.

Municipal Internet?  Sounds like Big City Thinking and Big City Taxes.

--
1Statistically speaking.
View Quote

Yes and no, there are pros and cons.  One of the pros is not having dozens of fiber optics companies boring through all the other damned utilities.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got to ask..... where in FL do you live that it's an issue?

View Quote

I don't know about OP but I live 25 miles north of Lake Okeechobee and all we have is 6 mbps down DSL, cellular, and satellite.

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#27]
At&T keep sending me mail saying they could get me DSL. For 5 years I ordered it and was declined. 5 years of me bitching and complaining that they was false advertising finally got me a less than 1MBS connection. I was very grateful because that beat the hell out of having 2 phone lines and 2 modems in my computer to do double dial up. I moved to a town that had 200MBS for the last 6 years. Now another company ran cable through my old home town that has 100MBS fiber last fall and started it up on December. I moved back. Hate larger towns, way to many people. Now I am back to pissing in my back yard and shooting wood chucks from the back porch. Got to love the country.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#28]
My in-laws live in Fort Worth city limits (technicallly they live in Saginaw on the edge of Tarrant county but larger cities in the metroplex have been annexing whatever they can get their hands on). When they moved out there in a nicer neighborhood (50 5-10 acre lots) they got the best thing they could get, DSL from American Telegraph & Telephone for a whopping 2 Mbps down and 512 kbps up. I quickly set them up with a WISP who provides symmetric 12 Mbps thought the WISP can currently supply about 40 Mbps to the house. I only happen to know this as I accidentally found flaw in using Mikrotik's DHCP server to rate limit DHCP clients.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah the good ol' days.  I had two T1s at a university campus I used to run IT for, one for data and one for voice.  Had probably 30 staff on campus, plus students.  This was the early 2000s, when RealNetworks was just getting started.  I remember wanting to work remotely, and the phone company wanted $600/mo for a 128kbps ISDN line to my apartment.

OP, try 4G, or starlink.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I have fiber and the install tech told me I'm only like one of a handful of my neighbors.

Wifi through my phone; hardwired is >gig.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I am rural W. TN. Our electric co-op ran fiber. 1gb symmetrical is awesome for $59.99. Had to sign up a year in advance and pay $20. That deposit covered installation. Before it was 50mb for 69 from cable company. Check with electrical company or get Starlink.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Speak to fraudulent 46, uncle Joe, he promised everyone would have internet.  Oh BTW, F JB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top