Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2021 12:36:40 PM EDT
Putting together Brian Moses' 2020 EcoNAS running TrueNAS (ZFS).  I still need to stuff it with drives.  8 current slots, looking for approx 12-16tb overall capacity in a RAID6.  Thinking (6) 4tb drives, but that is flexible.

I've been looking at WD RED + drives.  ZFS requires non-SMR drives.  I see some drives are starting to advertise if they're SMR or not, but not all.

Any suggestions for best value (value not necessarily meaning cheapest...want reliability...but don't need NASA grade) drives at this point in time?

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Putting together Brian Moses' 2020 EcoNAS running TrueNAS (ZFS).  I still need to stuff it with drives.  8 current slots, looking for approx 12-16tb overall capacity in a RAID6.  Thinking (6) 4gb drives, but that is flexible.

I've been looking at WD RED + drives.  ZFS requires non-SMR drives.  I see some drives are starting to advertise if they're SMR or not, but not all.

Any suggestions for best value (value not necessarily meaning cheapest...want reliability...but don't need NASA grade) drives at this point in time?

View Quote

Gigs or tera . . . you're all over the place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

SkyHawk drives are designed for continual writing with very little reading.

I propose a drive built for NAS: Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Both drives use CMR, though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gigs or tera . . . you're all over the place.
View Quote

Tb...not sure why anyone would want a NAS with less drive than the smallest USB flash drive.  lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are going with the 2 drive redundancy that he talks about (and it seems that you are) then you can likely get away with less expensive drives than the enterprise class
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

SkyHawk drives are designed for continual writing with very little reading.

I propose a drive built for NAS: Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Both drives use CMR, though.
View Quote

a 7200 rpm drive in a NAS is going to run hot, normally.

If its for work, or a client, WD Red work great. If it is for yourself, shuck the WD white label (WD red) drives out of Best Buy "Easystore" external hard drive enclosures. Running 90TB (70TB storage+20TB Parity) 8 "EasyStore" shucks and 2 HGST SAS drives.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Get SAS HBA.

Got to bitdeals.tech.

Order used SAS drives of desired size.

Wait.

Wait longer (they take awhile).

??????

PROFIT
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I built my NAS out of a Raspberry PI 4.

Honestly, *VERY* happy with it so far... but currently it only has a 2.5 laptop drive at 1tb. Running out of space.
Bought an external hard-drive bay (Toaster style) to put two 3.5 drives in to expand space... but honestly kind of regret it after seeing this.

https://hackaday.io/project/179338-cm4-custom-pcie-nas
That thing looks bad ass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

a 7200 rpm drive in a NAS is going to run hot, normally.

If its for work, or a client, WD Red work great. If it is for yourself, shuck the WD white label (WD red) drives out of Best Buy "Easystore" external hard drive enclosures. Running 90TB (70TB storage+20TB Parity) 8 "EasyStore" shucks and 2 HGST SAS drives.
View Quote

To hell with Western Digital and their SMR drives. That, and their RPM "ratings"
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
All the parts are here.  This is what I'm building:

https://blog.briancmoses.com/2020/12/diy-nas-econonas-2020.html

I ordered 3 of these:

https://www.newegg.com/red-plus-wd40efzx-4tb/p/1B4-005X-001D3?Item=1B4-005X-001D3

and 3 of these:

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-ironwolf-st4000vn008-4tb/p/N82E16822179005?Item=N82E16822179005

This will be my first NAS build, and I'm not terribly familiar with Linux, so it'll be neat.  Hopefully the processor is enough to run Plex transcoding.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top