Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2021 10:43:06 PM EDT
Long story short, I know nothing about computers. My girlfriends early 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13" screen started to have lines in it and was just not working right (would work a little bit then default back to the screen thing).

She paid $50 to get it diagnosed by a computer shop and they said it was the motherboard and was going to cost $580 to repair. We are not computer people, it's a 6 year old computer anyways.

Looking at selling it for what we can get, maybe someone can use the parts or fix it themselves. The outside case and screen are in great condition (no dents or cracks).

What do you think would be a fair price to ask for it? Comes with charger. Thanks for any ideas!!

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd call Apple. You can get it fixed for cheaper then they quoted you.

as is, not repaired you might get $100 to $150.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd check completed auctions on eBay for a current value of a non-working laptop. Years ago I was fairly successful at re-flowing the BGA video processor that caused video weirdness on the white Macbooks, probably can't do that any longer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a motherboard being bad typically is not the cause of that.

1.  its the cable going from the MB to the screen.  

2.  or its the screen itself.   yes they go bad very but its typically physical abuse by the end user

if you want take it apart and check the ribbon cable from the MB to the screen.    

either way no fun..
View Quote

This is what typically happens with the lines.    Question, with the backlight on, when you tilt the screen, do the lines make a wave motion?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top