Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2021 8:24:54 PM EDT
I've tried it a few times, all sorts of drivers, clean install, etc.

The current usable Windows build goes unsupported in a couple months which leaves the machine vulnerable.

Major I/O device lag (mouse, keyboard), screwed up audio, and general lag in functions.

The machine is a monster built in the 2012 timeframe on a Z77 chipset. It's still a great rig until you try the newest Windows build...

Am I effed? Just have to bite the bullet and do a new build during a really shitty time to build?

April 2 update - So I tried again today. There was an update to the update on the 29th that was supposed to address a bunch of issues. All of the same problems persisted. Tried installing and uninstalling all of the drivers (audio, mouse, etc.) again, which did nothing. Finally I switched audio output in Device Manager to the digital audio side of the MB (which I don't have anything hooked to) then back to the Realtek Audio side. Somehow switching back and forth fixed everything. The lag in Windows, audio issues, mouse lag, keyboard lag, etc...

This is one of those "WTF there's no reason that should have done anything but OK..." fixes.

YMMV. I was about a day away from ordering all of the parts for a total overhaul of the chassis.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The last 2 windows builds have broken a LOT of older programs I use regularly.

2012 is starting to get near the ragged edge of PC senior citizen-ness....
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an up to date PC, but my "ARF" PC is an old Win 7 machine updated to 10, same age as yours, maybe even 2010, was unusable with 3 GB RAM, took out the 3GB and put in 8GB, runs great on WIN 10 for a ten year old machine.  Use it for ARF, youtube, photos, gmail, etc

Might be time to buy a new one, they are cheap, Check here daily

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Bios update is worth a shot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bios update is worth a shot.
View Quote

Did that too... I’m stumped.

Priced out a little mini-ITX build. Can probably get something nice (enough) slapped together for $650.

May just throw the cheapest ATX board and I3 combo in the chassis I have and say eff it. I rarely play games anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a NUC these days.  Tiny little PC that does it all, minus newer games.  Runs older stuff fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump. Update in OP in case it helps anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Talk about what should have been a completely unrelated issue causing problems.  Nice work troubleshooting that one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top