Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2021 10:23:05 AM EDT
Picked up a newer desktop for cheap and it has a small 180w power supply and no external power for graphics cards.    Maybe looking to do older games and some 3d printer modeling.   Not sure what would work for cards.     Here's a link to the specs  https://www8.hp.com/us/en/home-desktops/product-details/product-specifications/35801283.     Any cards that would work?   Price is a consideration.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Newegg has used Nvidia quadro cards.  Maybe one of those?
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If you just need video a Quadro 310 would work.

Otherwise, I've bought a couple of these from overseas.  They are basically a Quadro P2000 and have a 75 watt power limit.

https://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=297
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
with being limited on graphics cards can I still expect better performance than onboard graphics?

how much of my available 180 w can I expect to safely use?
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
with being limited on graphics cards can I still expect better performance than onboard graphics?

how much of my available 180 w can I expect to safely use?
View Quote

Yes, virtually any external graphics card is going to beat onboard graphics. Intel's fastest integrated graphics is is faster than the Nvidia 710/730 from years ago, but nothing else. An old Quadro will blow integrated away.

How much you can use depends on how much everything else is using. The PS was spec'd on the assumption of a standards-compliant PCI card most likely, so it'll be OK as long as the card doesn't need additional power beyond what the PCIe slot provides.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a few GTX1650 (not Super) and 1050ti cards that only draw power from the PCI-E slot. With "slow" GPUs, only 4GB memory, and one fan limiting overclocking, they're not cost-effective for miners - but fine for 1080p gaming @ medium or higher settings.

Also, measure the power supply, you might be able to replace the stock 180w PSU with a 300w TFX or 450w SFX, which would open up more options.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are a few GTX1650 (not Super) and 1050ti cards that only draw power from the PCI-E slot. With "slow" GPUs, only 4GB memory, and one fan limiting overclocking, they're not cost-effective for miners - but fine for 1080p gaming @ medium or higher settings.

Also, measure the power supply, you might be able to replace the stock 180w PSU with a 300w TFX or 450w SFX, which would open up more options.
View Quote

Everything I've read says that the PSU is propriatiary and the mother board connector wouldn't be the same on a regular PSU.       I don't need anything fancy in the way of a graphics card and I'm not playing any of the new or latest games, but have some older games I might do.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Everything I've read says that the PSU is propriatiary and the mother board connector wouldn't be the same on a regular PSU.       I don't need anything fancy in the way of a graphics card and I'm not playing any of the new or latest games, but have some older games I might do.
View Quote

Low-profile 750ti is still viable, not a lot more cost but a helluva lot better performance than a 1030   new, Ebay for 189.00 and
GTX 750 Ti Test in 25 Games in 2020
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Low-profile 750ti is still viable, not a lot more cost but a helluva lot better performance than a 1030   new, Ebay for 189.00 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgqevGz2w4g
View Quote

That was kind of the way I was leaning after digging around a bit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your PSU might well be proprietary, but it is possible there might be a higher-wattage proprietary Power Supply available.  I'd suggest upgrading the PSU if feasible, because an upgraded PSU will allow better Graphics card choices.

Installing Solid State Drives (SSDs) will certainly speed up your computer, and shave a few Watts, which might be needed by upgraded Gfx card.  

It  might be possible to install a higher-wattage EXTERNAL, Modular power supply.  Just connect it to the MotherBoard with appropriate cable, and use appropriate cables to connect other powered devices to the PSU, if desired.  With your current PSU, your options are very limited.  Any high-end graphics cards can also be draw their power directly from the Modular PSU, with appropriate cables. Excellent 400+Watt Modular PSUs are not terribly expensive.  Go with respected brands, like Seasonics, unless you like fires.

I tried to install an Nvidia 1050 Ti Gfx card into one of my computers with a 240 Watt PSU, Core 2 Duo CPU.  Not so good, and I reverted to Nvidia 1030 Ti Gfx card.  No problems with 1030 Ti card in my computer.  1050 TI card subsequently verified as good.

Strongly suggest maxxing-out the RAM, and make a point of using BOTH RAM slots when doing so.  Far better 1/2 RAM in both slots than 100% of RAM in a single slot.

Upgrading 13 cpu is a possibility.  Just search "how do I upgrade cpu on my {model xyz) computer, and results will appear, likely with Youtube vids.

Take a look inside the case of the computer, and determine the physical space available for an add-on Gfx card.  Some Gfx cards are double slot, some single slot.  Height and length available for the Gfx card within the case matters.  I had to cut the shroud of my Gfx card to allow it to fit in conjunction with add-on case fan. There was 1/16" inch interference.  It is possible to mount a Gfx card externally, using appropriate connector cable, but it's a hassle, and I don't suggest it.

If you are willing to learn, and do some very detailed research and subsequent tinkering, you can >>probably<< upgrade/modify this computer to do what you want it to do.  Your question is: Is the considerable time, and minor/moderate expense worth it--to you?

I have done similar, but to me, it was primarily a learning experience, and I enjoy that.   I tried to minimize costs, but that was not terribly important--for me.  YMMV. I've upgraded my laptop, and 3 other computers in a number of ways, but I had to do some detailed research before doing so, successfully.  All the upgrades went smoothly, because I took the time to do the required research, and buy the correct components.  So far, so good; my education has put me in a position to contemplate building a computer from scratch.  But that's me, not you.  I have the time, and the (to me) small amount of money required to do so, perhaps you don't.

BTW, definitely NOT a computer guru.  Just an average guy who does his homework, and enjoys tinkering with things.  If I can do it, so can you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Used to be into building when I was younger so I have an OK grasp on some of it.  But like all things, if you don't do it all the time to stay current it will soon leave you behind.    I'm not looking for the latest and greatest gaming rig, I got a deal on this current setup and thought it might be worth throwing some upgrades in until I learned about some of the limitations.  Back when I was doing this the PSU's were all swap able.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top