Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 3:06:51 PM EDT
Do free ddns providers still exist?  I'll need one for accessing a remote camera system.  Which is preferred?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
duckdns.org
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a Mikrotik router...you have free dynamic dns from them.

{device_serial_number}.sn.mynetname.net

Just have to enable DDNS under IP>Cloud in Winbox.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I use this. Only downside is having to confirm every 30 days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They have clients that keep the host alive

https://www.noip.com/download?page=linux
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

What drops the host?  Lack of use, or lack of a confirmation message to keep it alive?  What does this program do to keep it alive?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What drops the host?  Lack of use, or lack of a confirmation message to keep it alive?  What does this program do to keep it alive?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They send you an email once a month or so to verify you still need it. If so you click yes if not you click no.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Occasionally your home IP address will change unless you pay for a fixed IP address.
These clients keep reporting your IP address to the DDNS service so it can associate "myhost.ddns.net" with IP "23.45.67.89" or whatever your IP address is.
That activity also keeps the host active.

Since these services are free, if you don't use them the host will atrophy and die.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Occasionally your home IP address will change unless you pay for a fixed IP address.
These clients keep reporting your IP address to the DDNS service so it can associate "myhost.ddns.net" with IP "23.45.67.89" or whatever your IP address is.
That activity also keeps the host active.

Since these services are free, if you don't use them the host will atrophy and die.
View Quote

I have Pfsense set to update noip but still requires every 30 days to confirm the hostname to keep their stuff clean.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have Pfsense set to update noip but still requires every 30 days to confirm the hostname to keep their stuff clean.
View Quote

Yeah my router has a setting for noip, but it only updates IP changes for one name, not the other two. I have three hostnames, and have to verify each one a month. I disconnected everything while out of state for a few weeks, when I came back home and fired up the router it updated my new ip (changed because modem was ofline for so long) for one name, but the other two I had to do manually on the website. My ip doesn't change unless I leave the modem off for long periods of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top