Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 1:52:48 PM EDT
I've asked about it before (So long ago the thread was archived) and never moved forward with tying all of my home automation gadgets together (Google home speakers, ADT/Smartthings Hub with many, many sensors, ecobee thermostats, Rokus, Harmony remote, Plex info, Shelly wifi relays, Yale ZWave deadbolt.)

I just did with Home Assistant.  HA is running on a RPi 4.  I created an account,

set up remote access  
Home Assistant Remote Access with DuckDNS and Let’s Encrypt (HOW-TO)

And HA found MOST of my devices!  Many were able to be set up via web interface. For Ecobee, I needed to enable developer.  

For Smartthings, there were a few more steps:
Add Samsung SmartThings to Home Assistant (HOW-TO)

I now have a Huuuuuuge dashboard with every device listed by what room it is in.  Each is controllable.  

I'm having such a happy time getting everything on one dashboard, that I haven't set up any automations yet!

HA is worth a look.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Been running HA for years and contributing code.

A great project.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I had Homeseer tied into everything, but am currently having a problem with it being recognized after upgrading to a SEL.

The Hubitat hub really looks like a great replacement for Smartthings.

I'm actually impressed with the growth in customizability and integration in the Alexa app.
Still has a long way to go.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had Homeseer tied into everything, but am currently having a problem with it being recognized after upgrading to a SEL.

The Hubitat hub really looks like a great replacement for Smartthings.

I'm actually impressed with the growth in customizability and integration in the Alexa app.
Still has a long way to go.
View Quote

Yes, Hubitat looks like a great successor to SmartThings.  As a consumer, it is frustrating to see things like Insteon, Revolv, SmartThings, Iris, rise, and fall.  I want to have home automation, but almost got burned by ALMOST buying in to Revolv.  

I have the ADT by SmartThings hub.  I had it for 91 days,... then I realized after CES2018 that ADT was going to do their own home automation/DIY alarm thing.  I bought up a pile of the sensors on clearance, and put them in a box.  I THEN realized the ADT/Smartthings branded ones would only work with the ADT/Smartthings hub.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, Hubitat looks like a great successor to SmartThings.  As a consumer, it is frustrating to see things like Insteon, Revolv, SmartThings, Iris, rise, and fall.  I want to have home automation, but almost got burned by ALMOST buying in to Revolv.  

I have the ADT by SmartThings hub.  I had it for 91 days,... then I realized after CES2018 that ADT was going to do their own home automation/DIY alarm thing.  I bought up a pile of the sensors on clearance, and put them in a box.  I THEN realized the ADT/Smartthings branded ones would only work with the ADT/Smartthings hub.
View Quote

I installed an Omni Pro II system in 2010, runs great.  Very integrated with multiple things.

Was looking forward to the updated Omni Pro III with better processor, more space, better internet and network integration...Then Leviton bought HAI, released a few mediocre products (e-mail board and new touchscreen that was meh), then killed the line...

My system still runs great, the Omni Pro board is a tank.
But there is an ever widening gap between it and current tech.

I am still running UPB PLC switches, they work well for the most part, but I've had some ghosts appear recently that are blocking signals and I can't locate.

I have a Zigbee hub, but don't look forward to retrofitting an entire 3200sqft house and two out buildings.

Started recently playing more with eh Amazon Echo family of products, I may end up with two parallel systems running in the house, with little way to communicate across the gap.

Biggest hurdle right now is I'm on cellular internet, which prevents my Homeseer from linking up with the outside world, including Amazon Echo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top