Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 9:33:15 PM EDT
What's the current speculation on when the MacBook Pro 16" with the M1(X) chip is going to be released?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen dates yet, just rumors of its features. Sounds like I should've waited. The touch bar is gone and real functions keys are coming back. They're also adding new I/O ports so you don't have to use a fucking dongle for everything.

I'm not very happy with my 2019. Battery life sucks and resetting NVRAM etc doesn't seem to do shit. It also reboots on a whim and 9 times out of 10 when I sleep the fucker drains the battery. The latest fun is the audio interface shitting the bed. I'll be listening to videos or whatever and the audio just dies. I've tried killing pulseaudio to restart it but that doesn't do shit. It's a very expensive POS.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't seen dates yet, just rumors of its features. Sounds like I should've waited. The touch bar is gone and real functions keys are coming back. They're also adding new I/O ports so you don't have to use a fucking dongle for everything.

I'm not very happy with my 2019. Battery life sucks and resetting NVRAM etc doesn't seem to do shit. It also reboots on a whim and 9 times out of 10 when I sleep the fucker drains the battery. The latest fun is the audio interface shitting the bed. I'll be listening to videos or whatever and the audio just dies. I've tried killing pulseaudio to restart it but that doesn't do shit. It's a very expensive POS.
View Quote

Never knew the '19's were that fucked-up.

My 2009 is still running strong, but it's SLOW, and support for different aps is dropping by the week.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I may have just gotten "lucky". I need to take it in the bar but I don't know if I believe they're geniuses.

I had a mid-2012 that was awesome. I'd switch back to it if I could remember where I put the damned charger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Never knew the '19's were that fucked-up.

My 2009 is still running strong, but it's SLOW, and support for different aps is dropping by the week.

View Quote

This, last night I looked at my 2009 and I guess its too old for the VPN that I wanted to use with it. But computer still runs fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I really, really like my 15" 2019 MBP but the battery won't hold a charge past 2-3 hours anymore (despite being less than 2yo), despite resetting SMC and NVRAM.  And I really cannot give it up for several days to get the battery replaced.  Even if I could, all the Apple authorized svc centers within 1 hour are booked up for weeks. What a PITA.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really, really like my 15" 2019 MBP but the battery won't hold a charge past 2-3 hours anymore (despite being less than 2yo), despite resetting SMC and NVRAM.  And I really cannot give it up for several days to get the battery replaced.  Even if I could, all the Apple authorized svc centers within 1 hour are booked up for weeks. What a PITA.
View Quote

That's why I'm holding out for the M1X.  It's supposed to have a very low power consumptoin.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's why I'm holding out for the M1X.  It's supposed to have a very low power consumptoin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to get an MBP with that chip, but it's my understanding it won't run Win10 in a VM, and that's a mandatory requirement for my work (my work requires that I upload pdfs to a certain federal court a few times a week and the only way to do it is via Internet Explorer in Win10 -- and I'm not buying a separate Win10 laptop just for that).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top