Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 6:42:25 PM EDT
I have an Untangle firewall and Unifi switch and APs.

I would like to set up VLANs.  I have no idea where to begin.  I know how to create VLAN interfaces on my firewall, and on the switch and APs.  But I have no idea how to integrate the two.

Anyone familiar with these two platforms?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you want to use VLANs?

For most home use, having multiple VLANs makes things more complicated and more to manage.  If  you just want to do it for fun or something, just define how many you want, what will go on each one, if you will allow communication between them etc.

Then create them, move the devices, setup firewall rules etc.  Not really much to it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't want any phone or tablet to be able to talk to any other device on my network besides the Raspberry pi and Untangle.

I want my Rings on their own network, with no access to anything but the internet.

I want any guests on their own network, with no access to anything but the internet, using the Raspberry pi and Untangle to block shit sites.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out Lawrence Systems on youtube.

He does some Untangle and lots of Unfi stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure specifically on that product, but to make the vlan for your mobile devices hit the firewall first, you will have to make the vlan interface on the firewall layer 3, and all of the default gateways on the mobile devices the interface on the firewall, unless you create a dhcp scope and pass the subnet/gateway settings that way.

That is how you would do it on a traditional type of network firewall, but not sure what all of the various consumer products do for that.
I have two routers and a Palo 220 sandwiched between them and I used the layer 3 vlans to isolate my TVs and streaming devices from the rest of the network, then made a network just for desktops/laptops and the mgmt interfaces of my network devices.
Then a different vlan for any IoT devices.

May want to look into creating a sub interface and tagging them with the vlan ID.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#7]
No experience with Untangle but Unifi can interoperate with other routers just fine.  People use them all the time with PF Sense and Edge Routers.

In the Unifi controller you need to create a "V-Lan Only" network and assign it the same VLAN number you gave the applicable VLAN in the router and they should talk fine.  

This video from Tom Lawrence shows it with PF Sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNAAfja_ZOY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top