Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 12:08:53 AM EDT
There was a.thread on internet options in rural areas. One response mentioned putting up antenna that would feed to cell towera. Sounded like it went straight from Wi-Fi to cell with no hot spots or anything... Want to read that again if anyone knows what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Two methods are wireless.  Fixed cell wireless and WISP.  Fixed wireless means you get cellular data from a cell provider through a router with a sim card, and WISP is a separate provider which requires line of sight to one of their hosting towers.  The latter requires a tower or other high point to mount a directional antenna, and requires the provider to first come out the do a survey to see if you can get a signal.  The cell option may not require an external antenna.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the rural category.

I'm on the WISP system, the tower is line of sight from the dish my house to the top of a mountain about 4 miles away.  It's been snowing in the mountains, raining at lower elevation and reception has been 'iffy' most of the day.  

When I cut dish, I went to an amazon fire stick so the breaks in service affect that also.  I only get four channels over the air so I've been relegated to those and dvd movies for the evening.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Another thread mentioned a carrier that sells excess capacity from at&t towers... Out..something I think...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another thread mentioned a carrier that sells excess capacity from at&t towers... Out..something I think...
View Quote

I think you mean OTR mobile.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
There is also the Calyx Institute

Same people that make CalyxOS for Android.  They have some free standing hotspot options for Internet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think you mean OTR mobile.
View Quote

Run like the wind away from OTR.  They are spiraling out of control. They keep losing contracts as a third party reseller and their support is awful.

Calyx is the most stable of the resellers.

Lots of people have had luck using an unlocked Nighthawk modem with a changed IMEI number for a tablet, then using a AT&T tablet plan.  This is flexing the rules, and could end up being turned off.  But many people are using this method with good luck.

Tmobile has started selling wireless home internet directly, and if it is available it is the best option right now.

Most everyone rural is still praying for Starlink.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I use “UnlimitedLTEAdvanced”. It seems to use excess TMobile or ATT SIM cards and data. I’ve been EXTREMELY happy with it. We cut out HughesNet satellite internet and went from 10Gig a month to unlimited and it is far faster, i game and stream HD.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Run like the wind away from OTR.  They are spiraling out of control. They keep losing contracts as a third party reseller and their support is awful.

Calyx is the most stable of the resellers.

Lots of people have had luck using an unlocked Nighthawk modem with a changed IMEI number for a tablet, then using a AT&T tablet plan.  This is flexing the rules, and could end up being turned off.  But many people are using this method with good luck.

Tmobile has started selling wireless home internet directly, and if it is available it is the best option right now.

Most everyone rural is still praying for Starlink.
View Quote

I have been a Starlink beta user for a couple of months now.  Averaging 120 down and 20 up so far, that is suppose to be increased over time.  There are still some stability hiccups for a few seconds a few times a day, but the latency issues have been worked out and that is no longer a problem.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
T mobile has a home internet system which is $50 a month. May not be available in your area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top