Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2021 3:10:34 PM EDT
I know this is a dumb question, but I get flummoxed at the IT lingo and the way the industry communicates.

In a windows remote desktop set up, where I am accessing a remote computer from my local computer, what is the lingo used?

1. Is my local computer the host or the client?

2. What the hell is the remote computer called? I understand client/server for web hosting, but this is different I guess.

Fucking google returns never ending microsoft bullshit with lingo like "productivity solutions" and "optimized network applications". It's like an ecclesiastical language to make themselves sound smart and obfuscate simple concepts for normies.

Any help appreciated.

B

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The host is the one with the things you wish to do on it.

The client is the one you go through to get to the host.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know this is a dumb question, but I get flummoxed at the IT lingo and the way the industry communicates.

In a windows remote desktop set up, where I am accessing a remote computer from my local computer, what is the lingo used?

1. Is my local computer the host or the client?

2. What the hell is the remote computer called? I understand client/server for web hosting, but this is different I guess.

Fucking google returns never ending microsoft bullshit with lingo like "productivity solutions" and "optimized network applications". It's like an ecclesiastical language to make themselves sound smart and obfuscate simple concepts for normies.

Any help appreciated.

B

View Quote

As far as the RDP session goes, your local PC is the client, and the remote computer is the host/server.

However, for purposes of any outbound traffic from that host to another service, it would be the client.

So the answer is, “it depends” and there are likely two “clients” and “servers” involved assuming you aren’t simply using a locally hosted application on that server.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Much appreciated, thank you.

B
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I understand about any outbound traffic from the remote computer makes the language less precise.

I'm just trying to get the remote desktop connection working as best as I can by improving the connection and frame rates. It's all in my house on a LAN so there is no bandwidth issues. The article said to modify the group policy settings and I couldn't figure out if it was the local or remote computer because of the lingo.

B
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top