Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2021 9:44:28 PM EDT
I've got an elderly friend who's into WoW.    They got a Dell Optiplex 7010 but the onboard Intel video sucks.    I'm showing an i5-3470, 16GB RAM in the slimline case.    From what I see online it's got one PCIE slot and a 250W power supply.   No power connectors for the video card.    Suggestions on a decent and preferably inexpensive video card?   I'll probably be paying for it and there's a chance I'll be driving to another state to install it.   I've seen some discussion online of a HD 7470 or a HD 7570.  It needs a vga port or a DVI I can connect VGA to w/ an adapter.    If it was local and non proprietary hardware the decision would be much easier but w/ the potential of driving hundreds of miles to install, or sending it to a non tech to install the options go down.      Short because of room in the case, low profile, no power connectors, will work on a 250 PS, and VGA connector is a pain.  Fortunately she's not a power gamer works decent is acceptable.  It doesn't need 120 fps at 4K.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
about the only video card that will meet your requirements is an Nvidia 1050.  Some 1650's will also work (if they don't require a  PCI-e power cable)

Sadly GPU's are in VERY short supply right now, so keeping checking Newegg and Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
about the only video card that will meet your requirements is an Nvidia 1050.  Some 1650's will also work (if they don't require a  PCI-e power cable)

Sadly GPU's are in VERY short supply right now, so keeping checking Newegg and Amazon.
View Quote
I was looking at 1030s and 1050s I got back to this.   Pickings are slim, expensive in some cases for what I'm looking for, and missing things that I need for this.   I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
How about a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti .  According to Gigabyte's website, it doesn't have a power connector, but you would have to upgrade to a 300 watt power supply.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti .  According to Gigabyte's website, it doesn't have a power connector, but you would have to upgrade to a 300 watt power supply.

Vulcan94
View Quote

I bet you wouldn't.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Upgrade got called off.  They got a new (to them at least) computer.  Supposedly it's "a lot better" but I have no clue what the stats are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top