Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 2:27:17 PM EDT
Hey guys...I came across an older (IBM Stinkpad 240x) on the arm from a guy cleaning house.

Runs through BIOS, then comes up with "No Operating System Installed" error.

It has no drive bay. and none of my T21 peripherals (usb 1/2 and Ultrabay) have that goofy "micro-centronics" lookng thingy as an interface. The IBM BIOS doesn't list a specific option for USB booting.

Any way to force it? Any advice much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
No way to "force it". If the BIOS does not support a USB boot, then you are out of luck. The USB port isn't going to communicate until the driver loads.

The only thing I can think of removing the HD, putting in another notebook, install DOS boot files and the \i386 Windows CD dir.

Put in back in the 240x, boot, and install windows.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info...I was kinda thinking along the same lines...I'll have to recheck the BIOS for certain..It DOES have a Type I PC card slot...maybe it supports network boot....I'll have to check.

But, when in doubt, putting basic startup files on the HDD via another machine has always worked in the past.... [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It DOES have a Type I PC card slot...maybe it supports network boot....I'll have to check.
View Quote

Not sure how much good that is going to do. You'll still need a DHCP and PXE/TFTP server setup in order to do a network boot.

In this case I think the low tech solution is going to be the easiest.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In this case I think the low tech solution is going to be the easiest.
View Quote

[lolabove] Aint't it the truth.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Does it have a floppy drive?

Good luck if you can find drivers, but it may be possible to make a boot floppy that will load USB drivers.  Otherwise a boot floppy with a pcmcia NIC driver might help you get it connected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top