Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 12:27:14 PM EDT
Silver heat paste (you know, the stuff you put between CPU and heat sink).

Do not, under any circumstances, get this stuff anywhere but the desired location.  It's like cockroaches, no matter how well you think you cleaned up that one spot, it keeps popping up all over the place.  

I had to re-paste my heat sink and use this stuff.  I got a <little> bit on my hand, which as I was going to wipe it off.....got on the floor, my desk, my laptop, and I keep cleaning it up.  But it just seems like the stinking stuff materializes in the oddest places and no matter how much of it I clean up, I keep finding new spots.

Just a reminder.  Silver heat paste is the devil.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep - its every bit as pernicious as MolyLube (Molybdenum Disulfide) and glitter.

Each is great for its purpose, but if you let any escape into the wild you'll never get it all collected up again. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they use the same formula they perfected with nickel based anti-seize, and just used silver instead of nickle.

SOP when you get nickle anti-seize on your clothes: Stop immediately.  Wipe hands on stained clothing.  Remove stained item of clothing - yes, right there.  Use clean patches of garment to clean up other deposits on hands, face, workbench.

Immediately repeat all those steps until you are naked, because the process for the first piece of clothing will contaminate the second, etc.  Walk naked to the garbage cans, throw clothes away, clean your whole body with Gojo (abrasive, because you deserve it), shower, then post on Arfcom about how the shit is STILL everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh.

Used gear oil from an axle or used ATF. 3 Tablespoons can somehow cover an ENTIRE fucking garage floor in seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top