Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:44 PM EDT
Last night I discovered that windows 10 only offers nfs with pro and enterprise versions.  

This tossed a wrench in my plans.  I really don't want to use samba, so this leaves me two options:  Get the wife on Linux (unlikely), or get a 3rd party nfs client.  

I found this with a quick search, but people are claiming its buggy:

https://github.com/nekoni/nekodrive

Maybe this?:

http://download.cnet.com/nfsAxe-Windows-NFS-Client-and-NFS-Server/3000-2085_4-10780016.html

Anyone come across a reliable solution for this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Paragon may have a for-pay software filesystem solution for W10 Home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
How about paying the $99 to upgrade from Home to Pro?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Windows is unfortunately necessary upon occasion.  But it's a necessary evil, to be used as sparingly as possible, like government.

She may complain about Linux at first, but in short order you'll wonder why you suffered so long with MS crap. Keep the windows machine, but get a linux machine for everyday use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
There might be an NFS client for cygwin. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Windows is unfortunately necessary upon occasion.  But it's a necessary evil, to be used as sparingly as possible, like government.

She may complain about Linux at first, but in short order you'll wonder why you suffered so long with MS crap. Keep the windows machine, but get a linux machine for everyday use.
View Quote
Oh I'm 99% on the Linux train.  I occasionally run windows VMs when I need them.  But my wife doesn't want anything to do with Linux.  All her work is done on Google docs so she doesn't even need MS, but she won't let go because it's familiar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh I'm 99% on the Linux train.  I occasionally run windows VMs when I need them.  But my wife doesn't want anything to do with Linux.  All her work is done on Google docs so she doesn't even need MS, but she won't let go because it's familiar.
View Quote
Chromebook?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chromebook?
View Quote
Oh, good call.  Thats a maybe.

cygwin is interesting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about paying the $99 to upgrade from Home to Pro?
View Quote
This.  Quick, easy, done.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Windows 10 pro an multiple machines at the house, always is an issue to connect to any NAS.

I have a WD My Cloud 3 TB NAS that Linux and Windows 7 and older versions connect to it without any problems, just works.

Windows 10 Pro I had to install WD Connector to get it to connect reliably, otherwise sometimes it connects fine other times it does not even see the NAS or if its connects it loses the connection and then cant find, or if I'm copying files it errors out.

FreeNas and NasForFree also I can't connect to them from a Windows 10 Pro machine, LOTS of stuff on-line about that......even when people can get it to work along comes a Windows update that hoses the fix.

It's ridiculous.

I had less problems networking my Compaq Deskpro 8086 pc with a hobbyist developed Tcp/IP stack on DOS on my home network than just one Windows 10 Pro pc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have Windows 10 pro an multiple machines at the house, always is an issue to connect to any NAS.

I have a WD My Cloud 3 TB NAS that Linux and Windows 7 and older versions connect to it without any problems, just works.

Windows 10 Pro I had to install WD Connector to get it to connect reliably, otherwise sometimes it connects fine other times it does not even see the NAS or if its connects it loses the connection and then cant find, or if I'm copying files it errors out.

FreeNas and NasForFree also I can't connect to them from a Windows 10 Pro machine, LOTS of stuff on-line about that......even when people can get it to work along comes a Windows update that hoses the fix.

It's ridiculous.

I had less problems networking my Compaq Deskpro 8086 pc with a hobbyist developed Tcp/IP stack on DOS on my home network than just one Windows 10 Pro pc.
View Quote
That's my experience with Samba as well.  All my Linux machines run just fine with it, but I seemed to always be fucking with the Windows machine.  

I thought NFS would be a better solution, but I guess not.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I run samba on 2 freebsd machines and all the clients are Windows 10.  My samba config is bare bones and it's been 100% solid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top