Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 5:31:41 PM EDT
I currently use a cell phone exclusively and have no computer. What are best options to have cloud storage at home? I was looking at a Raspberry PI, but am unsure if there is an easier option. I would prefer not to buy a computer. The cloud storage will be for pictures and video uploaded from my phone.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Pi + external HD would work fine.  Making it accessible from anywhere would require running a ddns service (many free ones out there) and ddclient on the pi.

Or you could buy cloud storage from just about anyone.  Even your cell provider may offer it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
android = google drive

apple =  icloud
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Synology NAS and it offers cloud storage locally at home. You can then have it back up to a cloud solution if you want. Depending on your phone platform and if only for your phone then I'd go with one of the solutions above(google or apple).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
android = google drive photos

apple =  icloud google photos
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Google photos is what you want. It's amazing and automatic. Perfect for your phone photos and videos. Works great on iPhone or Android.

Free and paid versions
Free is unlimited for up to 1080p videos and up to 16 megapixel photos. If you upload anything bigger on the free account, it will compress/reduce the size automatically.

Paid version let's you store larger resolution than the free limits natively but costs money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Google photos is what you want. It's amazing and automatic. Perfect for your phone photos and videos. Works great on iPhone or Android.

Free and paid versions
Free is unlimited for up to 1080p videos and up to 16 megapixel photos. If you upload anything bigger on the free account, it will compress/reduce the size automatically.

Paid version let's you store larger resolution than the free limits natively but costs money.
View Quote
How have you been able to make it "automatic"?  Google photos will only upload for me when I open the app.  I back up to that, amazon prime photos and synology and all of them have to be opened unlike icloud.  I'd really like it to work automatically and have searched and can't find anything.  Even setting geotags in Synology photos app does not work unless the app is open and running in the background.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How have you been able to make it "automatic"?  Google photos will only upload for me when I open the app.  I back up to that, amazon prime photos and synology and all of them have to be opened unlike icloud.  I'd really like it to work automatically and have searched and can't find anything.  Even setting geotags in Synology photos app does not work unless the app is open and running in the background.
View Quote
photos automatically backs up for me with the default app settings (i'm using android).  

i have it installed on my ipad as well, and i'm pretty sure it backs up automatically on that as well.  will confirm tonight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which Syn are you using? Why that model? Are you RAID or BTRFS, ZFS? 

Sorry if this might look like a hijack, however, I believe it relevant to OP intentions.

Tnx
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a Synology NAS and it offers cloud storage locally at home. You can then have it back up to a cloud solution if you want. Depending on your phone platform and if only for your phone then I'd go with one of the solutions above(google or apple).
Which Syn are you using? Why that model? Are you RAID or BTRFS, ZFS? 

Sorry if this might look like a hijack, however, I believe it relevant to OP intentions.

Tnx
I'm using a synology DS216+II as it is able to transcode for plex.  It's a two drive system in RAID 1 with two 8 TB hard drives in it.  As pointed out above if I leave the app running in the back ground on my phone it will back the pictures and video's up all the time.  However If I close that app then it won't.  So what I do is every night I open the DS photo Synology app and it then upload(I do with with google photos and amazon prime photos as well).  Then I close the app.

Edit: i just wish there was a way to use those login credentials to the NAS instead of icloud credentials and just have it use my local NAS as the icloud location.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you. I am not a tech or pretend to be one.... even on the interwebs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using a synology DS216+II as it is able to transcode for plex. It's a two drive system in RAID 1 with two 8 TB hard drives in it. As pointed out above if I leave the app running in the back ground on my phone it will back the pictures and video's up all the time. However If I close that app then it won't. So what I do is every night I open the DS photo Synology app and it then upload(I do with with google photos and amazon prime photos as well). Then I close the app.

Edit: i just wish there was a way to use those login credentials to the NAS instead of icloud credentials and just have it use my local NAS as the icloud location.
Thank you. I am not a tech or pretend to be one.... even on the interwebs.
No problem!  That is what we are here for!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top