Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 7:39:37 AM EDT
Looking to migrate away from gmail and have been eyeballing paid-for email services.  Local hosting isnt feasable due to the port blocks on the ISP (comcast).  

So, anyone here have experience with fastmail, runbox, etc? IMAP is important as i never log in thru a web interface. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Protonmail but not sure if it supports IMAP.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You can do imap with Google G Suite, if your admin turns it on.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Protonmail and Hushmail are good
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can do imap with Google G Suite, if your admin turns it on.
View Quote
Wanting to cut google out with the exception of maybe a junk/backup account. All personal use. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use Protonmail but not sure if it supports IMAP.
View Quote
Will look this one up as ive not read about it.   Thanks. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
At this point I personally use a google apps for business account. However office 365 with your own domain is what I would do. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Rackspace email is the best in the business. They were originally a great email company called webmail.us that rackspace purchased. They are awesome.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rackspace email is the best in the business. They were originally a great email company called webmail.us that rackspace purchased. They are awesome.
View Quote
We try our best. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy your own domain and use Office 365. $5 a month for the basic account. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buy your own domain and use Office 365. $5 a month for the basic account. 
View Quote
I get by with about $20 a year, $10 a year for the domain hosting (don't laugh, it's been flawless) and $9 to $10 for my domain name, Thunderbird for my email program. I don't have a web page (I could if I wanted one) but an unlimited number of email addressed with unlimited transfer* at my own domain name, David0858.com (not the real name).

* There's always an asterisk with fine print to kick in if they think you're abusing the unlimited.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I use StartMail. $60/yr. Great encryption options
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I get by with about $20 a year, $10 a year for the domain hosting (don't laugh, it's been flawless) and $9 to $10 for my domain name, Thunderbird for my email program. I don't have a web page (I could if I wanted one) but an unlimited number of email addressed with unlimited transfer* at my own domain name, David0858.com (not the real name).

* There's always an asterisk with fine print to kick in if they think you're abusing the unlimited.
View Quote
Yeah there are cheaper options but the basic Office 365 plan includes things like 1TB of cloud storage and Office online which is handy. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I use G Suite but if you want to get away from Google look at Office 365 or Rackspace as mentioned above. Maybe Zoho as well.

I'm always wary of the smaller services that don't use your domain name. You're out of luck if they go under and then have to change everything over to a new address. Same with ISPs: 'Oh you moved and changed providers? That'll be $X a month to keep using your email.'

Plus compared to a "real" email provider the services are pretty limited.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Google for my MX, but only because I was grandfathered in on my domains when it was still free.

If I were to pay now, I would be 50/50 split between Google and Microsoft (O365).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top