Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2017 4:46:51 PM EDT
In my head all I hear is "Yeah, MSDN or VLSC codes that are soon to be deactivated."

Anyone want to lay odds that this EE add is for legit product?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't even pretend to know the infinite twists and turns of MSFT licensing but if I had to wager I'd say that the keys might be valid but the sales channel, seller, sourcing, and pricing sure as hell doesn't look legit to me.

I'm surprised it was allowed in the EE unless the seller was able to show some docs or proof that this was an authorized sales/licensing channel and pricing.  Which again, hardly seems likely.

As they say, not my monkeys, not my circus.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually have a challenge coin that says this. :-)
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]

I need a stack of those so I can flip one to everyone I say that to.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty good chance of them just being volume/enterprise activation keys. So they will work as long as the person/company who actually owns them(the main license they are based off of) keeps their license active. The activation key would become invalid after that, at least that's how it use to work.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If he's not providing the COAs with the key printed on them, they're not legit.  He says they're OEM, and the OEM HAS to have the sticker, because it's married to the box.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I need a stack of those so I can flip one to everyone I say that to.
View Quote
They're not exactly cheap, so I hope you don't say it too often, or you really like the people you say it too. 
Schlock Challenge Coins

I hate to say it, but I got 'a few' via kickstarter when they first came out. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If he's not providing the COAs with the key printed on them, they're not legit. He says they're OEM, and the OEM HAS to have the sticker, because it's married to the box.
View Quote
On one side, I really can't stir up much sympathy for MS losing out on a bit of hobbyist revenue.
On the other side, I am not a fan of buyers being taken advantage of.
On yet another side, $18 is not a high price for a valuable lesson on 'if the deal is too good to be true..."

Overall, I care just enough to grab some popcorn & watch. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
So instead of reaching out to the seller and asking for information you decide to post up here and have everyone speculate.  Could also be construed as ad stomping so be careful of that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On one side, I really can't stir up much sympathy for MS losing out on a bit of hobbyist revenue.
On the other side, I am not a fan of buyers being taken advantage of.
On yet another side, $18 is not a high price for a valuable lesson on 'if the deal is too good to be true..."

Overall, I care just enough to grab some popcorn & watch. 
View Quote
System Builder licenses are still a thing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSI7Y3U?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
What makes me go  is he says he does not provide a COA (cert of authenticity) which is required for OEM licenses as I have bought them before.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
He probably got the keys from scdkey or a similar site. I am sure they will activate windows but who knows how legit they are.

The keys are probably not suppose to be sold to the US market. I am sure Microsoft does not sell windows for the same price in every country. The keys are probably sourced from Asia.

I have seen them as low as $13.xx.

scdkey windows 10 link
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Everything here is supposed to be legal and legit. I am sure Microsoft is not happy about it because it's probably gray market, etc.

Microsoft legit keys selling on Reddit
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Everything here is supposed to be legal and legit. I am sure Microsoft is not happy about it because it's probably gray market, etc.

Microsoft legit keys selling on Reddit
View Quote
That is indeed a grey market, and is semi-legit (German high court ruled that MS *has* to allow end-users to resell licenses just like any other capital asset, but there is no legal precedent under US Law, yet) but the exact issue with the OPs link in question is that those are OEM keys.  OEM keys can be purchased, but MUST come with a Certificate of Authenticity sticker that is attached to the computer the OS is installed on, because once installed it is permanently married to the box and is non-transferable.  So, to buy an OEM key without a COA is software piracy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Be careful of discussing a perfectly reasonable question about a subject that this forum is exactly for?  What's being done is a VERY common thing around the fringes of enterprise IT and regardless of whether it's high-end networking gear on eBay or volume license keys, it's nearly always against the licensing and use terms of the manufacturer and it leads to people winding up with products that they can't get support for and often lose access to because of various license renewal and rollover schemes.

More to the subject, I have personally seen 3 people walked out of the building (2 initially charged with felonies) over "extra license keys" and the resulting "true-up" audits that result from it really suck.  Someone always looks at the licensing numbers and thinks "hmm, we have 19,877 of 20,000 2016 Server Datacenter and 14,908 of 15,000 2016 SQL Server Enterprise licenses left before the EA rolls in 3 months.  Nobody cares.  They aren't being used and the were already paid for..."

I'm not presuming this is the case here but I've seen that very thing happen.  The "benefit of a doubt" isn't my first reaction in this particular arena.

Quoted:
So instead of reaching out to the seller and asking for information you decide to post up here and have everyone speculate.  Could also be construed as ad stomping so be careful of that.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top