Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 5:58:57 PM EDT
Some time ago I posted about a proof of concept style hack to use a computer's mic and speakers to bridge air-gapped computers and potentially defeat that layer of security. I recall that few thought much about the threat, and many even doubted that it existed.

Now this technology has been 'weaponized' by advertisers. PC World, ARS Technica

I'm taking this as notice of a new area of the spectrum being opened to intrusion and exploitation. You already can't have cameras in some secure locations. Any bets on how long till a kneejerk ban on 'audio devices' is proposed?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang. This has been real-world since 2015.

SilverPush’s company policy is to not "divulge the names of the apps the technology is embedded," meaning that users have no knowledge of which apps are using this technology and no way to opt-out of this practice. As of April of 2015, SilverPush’s software is used by 67 apps and the company monitors 18 million smartphones.
View Quote
and
The CDT letter went on to cite articles reporting that cross-device tracking has been put to use by more than a dozen marketing companies. The technology, which is typically not disclosed and can't be opted out of, makes it possible for marketers to assemble a shockingly detailed snapshot of the person being tracked.
View Quote

I wonder if there's any way to limit PC audio hardware to only the audible spectrum?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
OK - decent news on this.

pcworld.com//security/ftc-warns-app-developers

1 - Android Only (so far)
2 - Not being used in the US
3 - FTC is not standing on the sidelines passively watching
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dang. This has been real-world since 2015.

and

I wonder if there's any way to limit PC audio hardware to only the audible spectrum?
View Quote

a low-pass audio filter would seem to be the answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top