Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 1:38:01 PM EDT
Started looking at cheap laptops to replace our ancient Toshiba.  It's primary use will be tuning the programmable ECU in my Miata, but I'd also like to be able to use it for web surfing and productivity.  In other words, not very demanding.  Been basically considering two paths:

1). Get something stupid cheap ($300-400), replace HDD with SSD if I get annoyed with startup times.

2). Get a midrange system ($550-700) that already has a SSD.  

Number 2 would also have more RAM and a better processor, but I know very little about laptop CPUs and their relative speeds.  Which route would you recommend, and any specific models?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If I was looking for a laptop for what you are doing I would look at the MS Surface 3 Pro. Not going to be a gaming box yet will do everything you need it to do with ease.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap laptops are like cheap everything else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was looking for a laptop for what you are doing I would look at the MS Surface 3 Pro. Not going to be a gaming box yet will do everything you need it to do with ease.
View Quote

Only problem: no rigid keyboard.  That would make it tough to enter new values for the VE/AFR/Spark tables in the car.

What are some good brands these days?  It's literally been a decade since I last bought a laptop.

ETA: This will be a secondary computer, have a nice desktop for most stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Only problem: no rigid keyboard.  That would make it tough to enter new values for the VE/AFR/Spark tables in the car.

What are some good brands these days?  It's literally been a decade since I last bought a laptop.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with whatever is cheap/on-sale at walmart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Started looking at cheap laptops to replace our ancient Toshiba.  It's primary use will be tuning the programmable ECU in my Miata, but I'd also like to be able to use it for web surfing and productivity.  In other words, not very demanding.  Been basically considering two paths:

1). Get something stupid cheap ($300-400), replace HDD with SSD if I get annoyed with startup times.

2). Get a midrange system ($550-700) that already has a SSD.  

Number 2 would also have more RAM and a better processor, but I know very little about laptop CPUs and their relative speeds.  Which route would you recommend, and any specific models?
View Quote

http://www.provantage.com/hp-h6l26ut~7HPP98H1.htm
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]

I like the looks of that!  I'd assume no Win10 upgrade though, right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I haven't had any issues upgrading refurb license machines.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]

I've serviced a metric shit ton of those, they're like goddamn tanks.  I'd take a referb of those any day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've serviced a metric shit ton of those, they're like goddamn tanks.  I'd take a referb of those any day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!  Ordered it today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top