Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:51:01 AM EDT
I bought a refurbished laptop that originally came with Windows XP.  The refurbisher put on Windows 7 Pro and there's a new Certificate of Authenticity on the bottom of the laptop next to the old Windows XP one.  It says "Windows 7 Pro Refurbished PCs".

Here's a pic I pulled of the internet - mine looks exactly like this:

Is this the same thing as System Builder keys, where it is permanently attached to the motherboard?  It matters because I plan to do a motherboard swap into this refurbished laptop's chassis, and if it's tied to the MB then I'll wait to activate it until I have my actual MB in.

Never heard of this "Windows 7 Pro Refurbished PCs" COA before.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Still not sure if it's tied to the motherboard, but the refurb key activated fine on a clean install of Windows 7 Pro.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a special OEM SKU for refurbing.  Just like any OEM key it's married to the computer.  It has to stay with that computer legally, but this does not stop you from swapping hardware.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep as stated, and the bios are just flashed with the needed slic so the OEM win pro 7 will register.

Short version, OEM versions of windows use a master password key, and require the bios to feed in the needed SLIC for the version begin run, and the OEM software to load in the needed Cert for the version being run.  And to add, the Cert, slic and Cert have to match for the version of OEM you are running.  Hence the Asus and the HP certs and master key are not the same between the two oem series.

So when the computer was refurbished, it's bios was reflashed with the needed SLIC to work with win Pro 7 instead (had the SLIC to run OEM XP before the refurbish).
View Quote

I purchased the refurb laptop and THEN put in a new motherboard after buying it.  The refurbisher's SLIC table is gone because I have a completely different MB in there now that the refurbisher did not intend.

I installed using a Windows 7 retail disc, and I activated it using the refurb key that was on the bottom of the laptop.  It activated online without issue.  

So, the SLIC table seems to have been irrelevant in this case.

I don't know if it's important, but I never activated the refurb key on the old MB.  I thought that since the refurb key might just be an OEM/System Builder key, I didn't want to tie it to a motherboard that was going to end up in my junk pile.  The first time the refurb key was activated was when I did so on the new MB I swapped in.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top