Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2015 9:53:18 PM EDT
For some reason Thunderbird decides around 9pm every night that it is the next day and starts showing email and feeds as received the next days date but the correct time.

ie I received an email at 9:22 PM 3/10/2015 but the received date column says 9:22 PM 3/11/15. It was correct earlier in the day.

I have checked to make sure I have the correct date, time, and time zone set in the control panel and also checked from command prompt. Win7

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Which operating system?

Oh never mind I see you said WIN7.

I would say it's almost for sure a time zone related issue.  I know little about WinBlows, I bet it's not set correctly even though your testing seems to say it is.

I admit being off by 24 hours is strange, but it seems it still has to be related to the system clock or how Thunderbird is reading it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not 24 hours but just 3 hours fast according to date but time is correct.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait I'm confused.

You say it's 3 hours fast according to the date in the emails?  Or from the DOS  "DATE" command?

Try the "DATE  /T" command from a DOS prompt at 8pm and 10pm.  If it returns correct time then your time zone setting might not be the problem.  I only really know Linux so I can't be sure of Windows.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Check here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Time_and_time_zone_settings#A_Windows_bug

Apparently there's a Windows bug that can affect some Mozilla applications.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok did some more digging I misspoke when I said emails and feeds. It involves just my feeds.

Also found out the date change does happens at 8:00 PM. It goes from 7:59 PM 3/10/15  to 8:00 PM 3/11/15. Yes it is like it jumps 24 hours. But if you think about it is only a 4 hour shift in date. Like a time zone problem.

Is there a buried time zone configuration in Thunderbird? But wouldn't that effect my emails and feeds?

Here is a snap shot of what I am seeing. Those at the bottom stamped 7:52 are from today and the ones from 8:01 are from 3/9 and at the top the ones with the 3/11 are today's.
I know it is confusing at first but if you think about it you will see it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried checking to see if another application has set the environmental timezone variable?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried checking to see if another application has set the environmental timezone variable?
View Quote

I tried doing ECHO %TZ% and all I got back was %TZ%.

I am chasing my tail in windows it has been so long since I have dug in to enviro variables. Also being new to Win7 doesn't help either.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Right click on the date/time in the lower right corner, and select "Adjust Date & Time".
The third tab is "Internet Time."

Are you set to sync with "time-b.nist.gov" or somewhere else?
Are you set to automatically sync on a scheduled basis?

Here's a link to setting the update to happen more often.

http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/

good luck!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right click on the date/time in the lower right corner, and select "Adjust Date & Time".
The third tab is "Internet Time."

Are you set to sync with "time-b.nist.gov" or somewhere else?
Are you set to automatically sync on a scheduled basis?

Here's a link to setting the update to happen more often.

http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/

good luck!
View Quote

Checked that it is correct and sync'd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top