Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:35:31 AM EDT
It is the one I posted earlier about that the HD might be going bad in.
I have already put in 4 gb of ram in and the 1 TB HD that seems to be going bad.
I haven't done anything like replacing a motherboard before, but found this video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcw6g-LVgY

I want everything upgraded if I can even find such a thing. That is if I can replace parts cheaper than buying an new laptop. If so where can I find a new motherboard?
Are they compatable between other PCs? Or do I need to find one specifically for the G56?
Am I in over my head or Can I just get a new one maybe even some better memory?

I'm not a computer wiz, but just do not want to spend $1000 for a decent computer just to end up with windows 8 on top of it all.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

It is the one I posted earlier about that the HD might be going bad in.

I have already put in 4 gb of ram in and the 1 TB HD that seems to be going bad.

I haven't done anything like replacing a motherboard before, but found this video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcw6g-LVgY

I want everything upgraded if I can even find such a thing. That is if I can replace parts cheaper than buying an new laptop. If so where can I find a new motherboard?

Are they compatable between other PCs? Or do I need to find one specifically for the G56?

Am I in over my head or Can I just get a new one maybe even some better memory?

I'm not a computer wiz, but just do not want to spend $1000 for a decent computer just to end up with windows 8 on top of it all.
View Quote
There are no other compatible motherboards. Chances are, the motherboard plus the swap out will either be impossible, or not worth the time and money.

You CANNOT replace parts cheaper than buying a new laptop.  That era is dead and gone.

Get a new laptop. Shop around for one with Windows 7 on it, or just buy Windows 7 and reinstall (wiping out 8.1) when you get it.  8.1 isn't that bad, 8.0 should be avoided.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
No upgrades.  The only boards you'll find are the same as what you already have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top