Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 3:41:41 AM EDT
A coworker told me that most video games these days rely more on your Graphics card than your CPU... and that basically I would do well to upgrade from my XFX 6870 to a GTX 970. He did recommend that I upgrade my mobo+CPU down the road, but that a GPU would drastically improve my gaming experience over just upgrading the CPU+Mobo combo and would hold me over just fine.
My current CPU is a Phenom II 955 black edition...
What say ARFCom? Will upgrading my video card improve the performance, FPS, and ability to increase settings without loss of performance/fps... or are my CPU/Mobo so outdated that it will effectively bottleneck any improvements a GTX 970 will have over my 6870?
Games I'm Playing/plan on playing:

Assasin's Creed series

Far Cry 4

Watch Dogs

Metal Gear 5.

The Division (When it comes out)

Elite: Dangerous

No Man's Sky  (When it comes out)

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know how old that processor is.  

I bought a refurbed HP from woot with an i7 4th gen in it.  It had a crappy power supply.

I bought THIS video card

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3IDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works wonderful.  YMMV.  Read reviews and see if you have the right slot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top