Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 3:41:36 AM EDT
I've been trying to go paperless for a number of years now, scanning important documents into PDF, and shredding the paper copies when I don't need a physical copy. Been using TrueCrypt for years to encrypt this sensitive personal info in bins/vaults, and have even taken the step further to encrypt entire USB drives for when I want to carry copies with me.

However, all of the above require TrueCrypt to be installed on the host computer, or have admin rights to run the program properly to function. That's a no-go at my new assignment. In addition, TrueCrypt has no support for OS X Yosemite (old, clean install DMG that worked previously doesn't install when I tried to bring it up to the new OS X).

I'm hoping to find a good secure USB flash drive. IronKey has been THE name in this game, but they're asking LaRue prices, when I'm on a Stag Arms budget. I was wondering what else (OEM, or even DIY) is out there that can get me portability and security, if not deniability (my TrueCrypt USBs show up as "unformatted" when they're plugged in - have to go into TrueCrypt program to mount the drive).

I need at least 8GB of storage, and the ability to go between PC and Mac.

What do you guys use?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in for an answer too. OP formulated the question better than I did when I asked.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
FYI, Truecrypt runs fine under OSX Yosemite.  You had me worried for a second, but I loaded up several TC volumes just now on my newly upgraded Macbook Pro.

Doesn't answer your question otherwise, just informational.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In addition, TrueCrypt has no support for OS X Yosemite (old, clean install DMG that worked previously doesn't install when I tried to bring it up to the new OS X).

View Quote

Works fine if installed like this:  http://tips.tinyiron.net/yosemite-to-truecrypt-never-gonna-get-it/.  Don't know about the modified DMG they have posted, I used my old copy of 7.1a and installed the 4 files manually as described.

I carry a thumb drive with my data in an encrypted container, and the Windows and Mac install files for Truecrypt.  Figured I can just install it if needed.  Doesn't address your concern, though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if this is an option, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

You could use KeePass to store your info. It is encrypted, and you can use a keyfile if you wish or simply a password.. or both.

It's open source like Truecrypt, but most people use it to store their passwords. However, it also allows you to add an attachment. So, you could put your files into a zip archive and add it as an attachment to a KeePass entry. Maybe you can just add the files themselves. I'm not sure about that, as I haven't tried it.

The good thing about this is... you can use KeePass without having to install it. So, you can keep the program's executable on the thumb drive along with the encrypted KeePass database file. When you want to access your stuff, you just start the KeePass program and open the database to access your attached files.

Using a program like this may be a no-go for you, though. There has to be some software which encrypts partitions on a USB drive which you can access without having to purchase a proprietary product. If I find anything, I'll add an update to this post.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Works fine if installed like this:  http://tips.tinyiron.net/yosemite-to-truecrypt-never-gonna-get-it/.  Don't know about the modified DMG they have posted, I used my old copy of 7.1a and installed the 4 files manually as described.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

In addition, TrueCrypt has no support for OS X Yosemite (old, clean install DMG that worked previously doesn't install when I tried to bring it up to the new OS X).

Followed your example, and it works again! Thanks!

Now, this is an official bump. Still haven't come up with an fix for the original question...
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have any experience with these drives?

Kingston DataTraveler Privacy 3.0

Poking around online nets comparison between the previous versions with the IronKey... Kingston seems to hold its own, but that was then...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, so I've found a solution:

Kingston Data Traveler Locker+ G3

Has the same 256 bit hardware encryption as the Privacy 3.0 I mentioned previously, just without the FIPS certification, which cuts down the price significantly ($1/GB)

Works in every environment that I've tried it in. Supposedly there's an automatic backup to cloud, but I have yet to find out how to activate it.

Just thought I'd pass along the info to anyone else who might be interested.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Create the volume using an XP machine (or VM) using Sarah Dean's FREEOTFE.

Put container on USB drive.

Also put Sarah Dean's FREEOTFE Explorer  (a separate program that lets you access the volumes from userspace).   The "explorer" scenario is not a mapped drive volume with a letter and on the fly transparent configuration as a drive.   Instead, its an "archive" that you can add, read, remove, files from.    

Then back on your XP machine you can transfer from the FreeOTFE volume to a truecrypt or whatever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top