Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 8:41:15 PM EDT
Looking to upgrade on the cheap, general purpose machine, trying to save some cash and use an existing case.  I've been out of the game for a while and need some help with a couple questions.  Upgrading from a Sempron dual core 2200

Intel I3-4130 Haswell or AMD FX-6300?

Currently leaning on the I3 with this board (need to stay in micro atx range):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Also, current hard drive is a 7,200 RPM SATA 3 gb/s, will this work on a board that just has SATA 6 gb/s?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard drive - yes, you can use an older SATA drive, as the connections are backwards-compatible.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking to upgrade on the cheap, general purpose machine, trying to save some cash and use an existing case.  I've been out of the game for a while and need some help with a couple questions.  Upgrading from a Sempron dual core 2200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Also, current hard drive is a 7,200 RPM SATA 3 gb/s, will this work on a board that just has SATA 6 gb/s?
View Quote

I just did a budget build with a FX-6300 on a micro ATX just to see what the 6 core is like, seems to be ok, all I do with that system is VMs.

Without an SSD in your build you won't notice a lot of performance improvement.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My gaming rig has a FX-6300 + Asus R7 260X.

I have dual 20" displays and can play World of Tanks and DayZ at the same time
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just did a budget build with a FX-6300 on a micro ATX just to see what the 6 core is like, seems to be ok, all I do with that system is VMs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta have that SSD!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I3, much higher IPC.

Yeah, the AMD has more "cores" (quoted because AMD plays fast and loose with what they call a core), but the vast majority of applications benefit most from higher single-thread IPC than a higher core count.

Even doing lots of VDI virtual machines, I got much better performance out of a quad-core i7 than a 6-core Opteron.  Both in user experience and in total number of VMs that would perform acceptably.

I have bought a lot of AMD chips over the years (including 8-way Opteron systems), but right now, their chips just suck.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

The i3-4130 is a fine choice, however I believe the i3-4150 is selling for the same price, if not a few dollars less, so no reason not to go that route.

Also, if "general purpose" doesn't include too much in the way of high-end gaming or multimedia processing, you could save ~$30 bucks and go with the Pentium G3258.  I have one in my new build as a stopgap CPU until I can pull the funds together for an i5-4690K, and it works great as it's overclockable (mine is currently at 4.4GHz).  Hard to beat for ~$65.

As for the hard drive, if it's more than 4 years old, I'd really suggest upgrading to a new drive.  You can still use it, but the reliability on mechanical drives really starts to drop off after the 4-5 year mark.  If you want to keep it, I'd look at getting a modestly-sized SSD (those things are amazing!) for your OS drive, and use your old hard drive as a data drive.  Just make sure to keep constant backups for the day when the old drive dies.

If you go the i3-4130/4150 route with the mobo you linked, you're looking at ~$175.  If you go w/ the Pentium G3258 and the mobo, you're looking at ~$140, and you can throw the extra cash towards a 128GB SSD.

Of course, there are other considerations with old equipment, like the condition of the power supply and the RAM.  The RAM you have now may be incompatible with the new motherboard, and you would see significant performance gains by moving to 8GB DDR3.  That's another $70.  

Upgrading can lead to quite a snowball effect on the wallet!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top