Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 1:11:18 AM EDT
So I'm messing around with Team Viewer on a couple of my machines.

When I connect them, is it over the internet or just over my LAN?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#1]
This is pretty cool!  

Typing on my desktop, connected to my laptop
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, Team Viewer uses an HTTP based VPN tunnel routed through their servers both ways. The traffic is leaving your LAN only to go out to the internet to come back in. Why expose yourself unless necessary?

Just use native RDP if possible.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC, Team Viewer uses an HTTP based VPN tunnel routed through their servers both ways. The traffic is leaving your LAN only to go out to the internet to come back in. Why expose yourself unless necessary?

View Quote

If you're only using it for remote admin, RDP is fine.  Teamviewer can be used for more than remote access.  You can share your desktop (select what you want people to see on your desktop) with multiple participants, video, voice only, and text chat, and it has a file drop box feature for exchanging documents.  It can also work across multiple platforms.  If you're dealing with a user or customer with limited tech skills, it's easier to launch a session than get them to set up to run several applications.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I couldn't get it up and running last night.  I'm off work today and will prolly mess with it all day

eta:  No I won't... I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my desktop.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top