Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 10:00:17 PM EDT
I have been running Win 7 since RC1.  I love it.

The PC died.  I bought a beige box one from woot that came with Win8.

I figured out how to switch between the Fruity-pebble looking tile screen and the screen that "sort of" looks like a Windows 7 desktop.  When I click the place where the start button USED to be, it goes back to Fruity-Pebble world.

- How do I bring up a list of my installed programs?

- How do I access everything I USED to access under the START button?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a shell program that gives you the familiar WinXP or Win7 look.

I can't stand Win8, everything is hidden, nothing is intuitive.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. right-click on that start button. most of the things you'll really need are right on that menu.

2. if you open the metro screen, there will be a down arrow icon near the bottom left of the screen. click that to see all your programs. or you can just start typing on the metro screen to start searching. seriously, how actually launches apps through the 'all programs' list anymore?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Fucking horrible, ain't it?    

Downlod and install the Windows 7 shell.     The idiots who designed 8 should be fired, castrated, then sent to live out the rest of their days on retard island.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Download and install classic shell.

http://www.classicshell.net/
View Quote

This works.  Have used it without issue on Win7, Win 8 and Win 8.1.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1. right-click on that start button. most of the things you'll really need are right on that menu.

2. if you open the metro screen, there will be a down arrow icon near the bottom left of the screen. click that to see all your programs. or you can just start typing on the metro screen to start searching. seriously, how actually launches apps through the 'all programs' list anymore?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is kinda how I feel about it, admittedly my 'normal' PC still runs Win7, and my Win8.1 machine is a Tab. But you can get used to this in a hurry, it's NBD.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Downlod and install the Windows 7 shell.     The idiots who designed 8 should be fired, castrated, then sent to live out the rest of their days on retard island.
View Quote

It's already over populated with people who can't figure out Windows 8.  

eta:  It's pathetic that any moron can't figure out a GUI.  It's not like we're talking command line here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get a shell program that gives you the familiar WinXP or Win7 look.

I can't stand Win8, everything is hidden, nothing is intuitive.
View Quote

"Classic Shell." I love it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

eta:  It's pathetic that any moron can't figure out a GUI.  It's not like we're talking command line here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can figure out a GUI.  It is more difficult though when a company throws out every piece of counterintuitiveness and previous knowledge that I have gained from using multiple versions of since Win 95.   I am trained to click in the bottom-fight to bring up programs, control panel, etc.  "Right clicking" the start button?  Thats what you do when you want to chance the start button.  

It has been said before, but Win 8 metro looks like the doctors office in Idiocracy:

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are multiple ways you just gotta mess around until you find it
View Quote

Yeah the search button is very helpful on 8.1
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't the GD.  Personally, I feel it's not as much an issue with figuring things out.  They move things around every time a new version comes out, and people adjust accordingly.  I think people are upset that M$ ditched an effective desktop interface in favor of one that works better on a tablet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This isn't the GD.  Personally, I feel it's not as much an issue with figuring things out.  They move things around every time a new version comes out, and people adjust accordingly.  I think people are upset that M$ ditched an effective desktop interface in favor of one that works better on a tablet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh... my bad

I'm just easily frustrated by folks that can figure out how to use a web forum, but not a GUI.  It's like they do it on purpose.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
i was learning to live with 8.1

]classic shell has made it MUCH more functional for me.  

what i really hate is having to sign in to my microsoft account just to log on to the pc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what i really hate is having to sign in to my microsoft account just to log on to the pc.
View Quote

Me too.  That's why both Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 are both set up sans Microsoft Accounts on my system.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just makes it easier for Microsoft to charge you for apps since you are already logged into the store and they already have your credit card number!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just makes it easier for Microsoft to charge you for apps since you are already logged into the store and they already have your credit card number!!!!

Why on earth would Microsoft already have your credit card number?

How in the hell are you guys setting up your computers?!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they don't have mine.  i've only downloaded free apps
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I've used XP, Vista, and 7 for years. I got used to the classic Windows layout

Built my first desktop and installed 8.1 OS.

I find that 8.1 is far more easier to navigate than any prior version of Windows.
It took me a total of 10 minutes of playing around to get used to it. I love it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can change it to a pin number. My P/W was kinda long.

I changed it to a 4 digit pin number.
Makes it easy for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I find that 8.1 is far more easier to navigate than any prior version of Windows.
It took me a total of 10 minutes of playing around to get used to it. I love it.
View Quote

So you're the one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top