Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 4:25:49 PM EDT
Something is wrong.  My computer won't shut down.  I'm running Windows XP.  I go through the normal shutdown procedure.  

start>
turn off computer>
window opens>
turn off...

Window's shuts down, then I get a screen with the MS logo saying "It is now safe to turn off your computer" and I have to shut it down manually.

Anyone have any ideas?  This is getting really annoying.

TIA. Max.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
FIC motherboard
P4 processor
XP upgrade from 98
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Should be rather easy there are two ways to get to it on windows 2000.  You can go to F8 setup menu while it is loading the system software and set it that way.  I can't remember the actual keystrokes to get there.

Also, some comps come with a power options settings control panel screen that has the option of "when computer is "shut down"" = power off.

Not sure how XP does it though.  We only use win2000 machines.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You could try this method
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=161812&w=activePop[/url]

Seems to work. Seriously, it has something to do with the power control in control panel, but I cannot remember exactly what. Hopefully that will at least you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
ahhhhhh... the joy.

Some things to check, then I'll try to explain.

1. Go into the device manager and click the plus next to "computer". What is listed there? It should say something along the lines of "ACPI compliant uniprocessor system" (I could be off slightly... but ACPI is what we're looking for here).

IF you don't see ACPI something or other under the computer section, you'll need to get that up and running. This is the most likely problem, altho there is a slight chance you dont have ACPI or power management enabled in the BIOS.

FYI... ACPI is the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface". This controls such things as automatic powering up on modem/lan/usb/power restored, automatic powering down, resource (IRQ) configuration, and several other things that most standard computers nowaday use.

If you have "standard PC" or something like that, the OS does not have the ability to control the above mentioned things, (probably) cant go into standby or hybernate, etc...

If this is the case, let me know and I'll step you thru changing it out to work properly.

You might also get better results doing a clean install of your new OS rather than upgrading (even if you only have an upgrade cd, you can do it if you have the old win98 cd).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1. Go into the device manager and click the plus next to "computer". What is listed there? It should say something along the lines of "ACPI compliant uniprocessor system" (I could be off slightly... but ACPI is what we're looking for here).

IF you don't see ACPI something or other under the computer section, you'll need to get that up and running. This is the most likely problem, altho there is a slight chance you dont have ACPI or power management enabled in the BIOS.

FYI... ACPI is the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface". This controls such things as automatic powering up on modem/lan/usb/power restored, automatic powering down, resource (IRQ) configuration, and several other things that most standard computers nowaday use.

If you have "standard PC" or something like that, the OS does not have the ability to control the above mentioned things, (probably) cant go into standby or hybernate, etc...

If this is the case, let me know and I'll step you thru changing it out to work properly.

You might also get better results doing a clean install of your new OS rather than upgrading (even if you only have an upgrade cd, you can do it if you have the old win98 cd).

Good luck!
View Quote

I read something in the microsoft knowledgebase about problems with ACPI being turned on in the BIOS failing to shutdown with APM, but that is more windows nt specific.

I would check the BIOS to see how it is set, and just try the opposite, and also follow all the directions above.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#7]
fdisk it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top