Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2014 8:44:18 AM EDT
Wife picked up rootkit 0.access on her laptop. I have googled several methods to get rid of it. What do you suggest?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Malwarebytes has a forum that will help. However, they caution that clearing a rootkit is chancy. Best option is complete wipe, reinstall.

Bleepingcomputer.com could also help.

Nasty infection - good luck!

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
backup data to external drive

re-install windows
install antivirus
do all windows patches/upgrades

plug in external drive and scan with antivirus
copy data over

do a complete backup of newly built machine to external drive
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
For the most part a rootkit will not necessitate a reload of the OS, I remove them all the time at work. Use the link above and start a new thread, they will get you fixed up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
wipe and reload is the ONLY answer.

You have no idea what else is loaded on the machine or what it may be doing.  Wipe the machine and reload.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wipe and reload is the ONLY answer.

You have no idea what else is loaded on the machine or what it may be doing.  Wipe the machine and reload.
View Quote

I deal with this about once a week. ive try just about everything and for the most part, I end up wiping and rebuilding. Even if you get your scan to show up clean and everything seems fine. You'll end up with little things here and there that just doesn't seem/act right. (updates fail, firewall problems, installation errors etc)
Just wipe it and move on, your going to do this anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top