Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2002 5:29:25 AM EDT
Speaking of new weapons the Russians have a new firearm that replaces the AK and word is that it is THE  [b]most advanced weapon in the world today[/b] anywhere period.  Operating off a series of short internal cables and a barrel that moves backwards about 1.5" during recoil, the rifle fires two shots each time you pull the trigger and fires them so fast one cannot differentiate the separate bullet ignitions.  While the first bullet is still in the barrel, its brother is coming up fast behind it.  The sound to the human ear is only one normal bang.  Due to this system, misses are reduced by 50% provided the first bullet was launched on target. Bullet spread between the two shots per pull is minimal. The rifle itself sort of looks like an oddball AK.  The trouble is Russia literally gave away millions and millions of the conventional AK's to the point that no one will buy the new gun as they flooded the market and due to Russia being flat broke, they can't afford to integrate the new rifle into their armed forces, at least in the numbers they would like.  I don't know what the caliber is, I think it is 5.45 but I do know I would dearly love to get my hands on one, even for just an afternoon.  Sadly our odds of ever even seeing one are just about nil.  All you have to do is look at their highly regarded Mig 29 to realize the Russians are capable of some very very advanced stuff and this new rifle bears that out(to excuse the pun).  All in all I think it is very fortunate that the US was able to beat the Russians on the gaming table with dollar bills vs. Rubles as had the cold war ever gone hot, it is becoming more and more clear that we would have paid a very heavy price on the battlefield to defeat them as they weren't quite the half drunk on vodka backward peasants we used to portray them as.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Hate to think what would happen if the first round had a light load of powder.

Sounds interesting though
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I think David Fortier did a review on them in Guns magazine almost a year ago.  Id have to dig throught the piles.  Whoever it was, got to go to Russian and test drive it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Automatic Nikonov 1994. AN-94

American Rifleman had an extensive write up on it a couple years back.  It had excellent blueprint type diagrams.  The article was very informative too.  If you're really into this rifle you might want to request a back issue from the NRA.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://www.milparade.com/2002/51/03_10_03.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.milparade.com/2002/51/03_10.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Even better would be just to be able to get ahold of a few of their new 60-rd AK magazines. [b]60[/b] rounds in the same space a conventional 30-rder takes up (4-stack mag, which funnels into a double stack at the mag well).......one thing about the russians; they can come up with some interesting shit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hate to think what would happen if the first round had a light load of powder.

Sounds interesting though
View Quote

Come one look how consistant russian ammo is, Just look at wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The AN-94 was made in a limited production run, but just like the Stoner 63, its simply an interesting "Might Have Been". The "Century Series" AKs are just too easy to produce on old AK machinery and the AN94 offers no real advantage over them, at least not one that the costs would justify. Too bad Robinson Arms wont ride to the rescue though like they did with the Stoner 63. My uncle GUSHED about the Stoners he had a chance to shoot as a USMC base guard at Da Nang, said they had the makings of greatness. Still thinking about buying the M96...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top