Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2013 4:34:19 PM EDT
I am writing this because I felt the need to bring attention to the customer service I received from Western Digital.  I am not affiliated with WD, aside from being an end user.  I simply feel that customer service such as I receeved deserves to be shared.

I had a 160GB WD Black laptop disk that began the click of death some months ago.  It sat in my garage until I happened to glance at the date of MFG and realized it may be under warranty.  I went to WD's site and, lo-and-behold, I had six months left on the warranty.  

I sent the drive back to WD for replacement, cost me $5.15 Priority Mail.  That was nine days ago.  

Today UPS dropped off a brand new 500GB WD Black.

I can only assume that the 160GB models are no longer kept in inventory, and that they sent me the smallest WD Black they currently manufacture.  No fuss, no emails.  Just a brand new drive nine days door-to-door after I sent the original.  

I realize that for a company such as WD, this is no big deal, and I can only imagine the markup on these drives over their actual mfg cost.  However I firmly believe that "only 10% of happy customers post positive feedback" when I myself am reading product reviews, so I figured I would chime in, even if it is a huge company sending a meager product to a small time buyer.  

I have a mix of WD and Seagate drives in my systems, and have used both for decades, and I have nothing bad to say about Seagate at all, however FWIW, WD will get my business in the future whenever possible.  Customer service goes a long way with me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have about twelve external drives, I don't even waste my time looking at anything but WD for my purchases.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#2]
They've been good with me on returns.  I put all of my drives with errors into a box, and about once per year, send them all back, and get nice new ones in return.

Notice that I didn't say "dead", I said "with errors".  I'll ditch a drive long before it's dead.  More than one or two bad sectors, it's in the box.  ANY seek errors or multi-zone errors, it goes in the box.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Good customer service... I had something similar happen to an old Bigfoot 4.3 GB drive I had. Yeah, it was a long long time ago. Customer service confirmed the serial # of the drive was under warranty and sent me a new one. It might have been WD at the time... who knows now.

Glutealcleft, what program are you running to determine the faults on a drive?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good customer service... I had something similar happen to an old Bigfoot 4.3 GB drive I had. Yeah, it was a long long time ago. Customer service confirmed the serial # of the drive was under warranty and sent me a new one. It might have been WD at the time... who knows now.

Glutealcleft, what program are you running to determine the faults on a drive?
View Quote

The drive stores that (and more) itself.  You just need a utility to read that data.  I use smartctl, it comes with every Linux distro.  The last time I looked at Windows SMART utilities, there weren't as many options as I would have suspected.

Most mobo's BIOS looks at SMART data, but doesn't actually tell you anything until the drive is so bad that it's all but dead anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top