Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2013 4:24:38 PM EDT
So my friend is currently starting a business...  He wants to have key card access for employees so he doesn't always have to "buzz" people in during business hours & also control movement/membership access.  I guess he also thinks it will make things easier to keep track people(not pass out a bunch of keys) also he wants to set an exp. date on the key cards.  From what I have seen in my google searching you can do just about anything and everything depending on how much you want to spend.

So my questions/requirements are....

1.  What are good reliable brands to look at?
2.  Know of any standalone systems that can be accessed over the internet that do not have monthly fee's?
3.  What software can be used to setup exp. dates on key cards?
4.  Are there any complete kits?  Software, Locks, Key Card programmer, Printer, etc..?  I haven't been able to find anything in a complete kit...
5.  Needs to be a magnetic card with photo id printed on it...
6.  Need to have a good user interface that runs Windows.

I don't think he is concerned about price he just doesn't want to get ripped off...  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
how many doors?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
For now I think he wants to start with 1-2 at the main entrance and maybe be expand the system later.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Infinias has some stand alone controllers that can be managed via a web based interface.  I believe they can be purchased without being a dealer and can be asembled into a system with a PC to manage them later if he gets more doors.

Most access control equipment is at least semi regulated because of the technical nature.  Manufacturers want thier equipment to be praised by the end customer.  If it is installed incorrectly, then it won't work and the customer will have a bad experience (and talk about it).  Therefore, they require the installers to be trained/certified to install the equipment.  Some manufactures go as far as to run background checks on installers due to this being security equipment.

Example
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to work with the people at Facekey that used biometric scanners.

Pretty freaking slick system.  Backwards compatible with existing infrastructure,  no cards to lose, multiple ways to set access and timelocks, can function as an electronic timecard.

http://www.facekey.com/

The guy who started it is SCARY smart.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but interesting reading.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone ever heard any good/bad about this setup?
http://www.maglocks.com/cobra-controls-acp-1t-1-door-computerized-access-control-system-kit-by-cobra-controls-for-1559.html

I wish it used the cheaper magnetic swap cards and not proxy cards
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
with mag stripe cards, reader wear out, cards wear out...  can be less than a year on a high traffic door.

prox cards are the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top