Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2013 11:07:52 PM EDT
Right now I have a PC running Windows 7 32 bit and I am building a gaming PC for my brother and wanted to get 64 bit Windows on his as there are a few games coming in 2014 that require a 64 bit system. We don't live near each other, so each having a disk/license key is needed.

Anyways, I have 2 questions I cant seem to find the answer for:

- If I have the 32 bit, is there a way to straight upgrade to the 64 bit or do I need to just wipe and install the 64 bit? I google'd win7 64 bit upgrade and can never determine if this is just a Win7 64 bit OEM or if there is a specific Windows 7 32 to 64 upgrade 'package'.
- (depending on the first answer) What would be the best way to go about this? Just buy 2 OEM Windows 7 64 bit disks?

Anyone know the best price for these as well?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Cannot upgrade must install.  $72.84 download only.
Are either of you students or teachers, you might qualify for an educational discount.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the windows 7 32 bit disk and registration key?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
that being said, (no upgrade path), windows does provide a bunch of tools to let you copy stuff off before you install. profiles and any other files you want to keep.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have the windows 7 32 bit disk and registration key?
View Quote

Around here somewhere; its what I would have used when I loaded the OS on this current PC as I built it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
that being said, (no upgrade path), windows does provide a bunch of tools to let you copy stuff off before you install. profiles and any other files you want to keep.
View Quote

So pretty much just get 2 OEM Windows 7 64 bit CDs/keys and be done with it?

I see them on ebay for 65$ from sellers that sell 100s of them. Most are Dell or some other computer brand sealed OEM disks with the key code. Are these legit/will they work or whats the trick with them?

Just search Dell Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit to see what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Op there is no need to buy another Win7 product. Your key will work for 64bit as well as 32bit. Just use a 64bit disk of the same version of windows (ie home, pro etc) and use your existing key. We do it all the time at work, works for Vista, 7 and 8.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Op there is no need to buy another Win7 product. Your key will work for 64bit as well as 32bit. Just use a 64bit disk of the same version of windows (ie home, pro etc) and use your existing key. We do it all the time at work, works for Vista, 7 and 8.
View Quote

Awesome. Well there's 1 down, what about the second for my brothers computer that I'll be sending him? Would prefer a seperate CD/key so he can have it with him incase of any issues.

Are those ebay disks legit and will they work on any motherboard/harddrive?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The "Dell/HP" OEM disks will only work for like machines so no, not a good idea. Your best bet is to find a OEM version of 7, not dell or any other brand. Also make sure it comes with a unused keycode sticker. You will know its geniun if the sticker is stuck to the back of the DVD case, you just peel it off and put it on your brothers case.

As an example something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-Windows-7-Professional-64-Bit-Pro-SP1-Full-Version-/271336728301?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3f2cede6ed

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Professional-32bit-SP1-Full-/271340044699?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3f2d20819b
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The "Dell/HP" OEM disks will only work for like machines so no, not a good idea. Your best bet is to find a OEM version of 7, not dell or any other brand. Also make sure it comes with a unused keycode sticker. You will know its geniun if the sticker is stuck to the back of the DVD case, you just peel it off and put it on your brothers case.

As an example something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-Windows-7-Professional-64-Bit-Pro-SP1-Full-Version-/271336728301?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3f2cede6ed

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Professional-32bit-SP1-Full-/271340044699?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3f2d20819b
View Quote

Ok thanks. Ended up getting one from newEgg for 99$.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cannot upgrade must install.  $72.84 download only.
Are either of you students or teachers, you might qualify for an educational discount.
View Quote

I need the same thing, 32-bit, though. Looks like a decent deal. Is this dealer GTG?

ETA: do they send along any kind of a Certificate of Authenticity or holograph label with these download only versions, or do you just keep the receipt and product key?

ETA2: I ordered Win 7 Home Premium-32 bit download only from vendor above, and have successfully installed. They don't send any holograph labels or COA, but keeping a copy of the invoice/order number, along with the authentication code, should be fine if I ever need to get it serviced.

Very pleased with this vendor, btw. I received an e-mail with the links to download sites for the .iso files, and instructions and authentication code shortly after payment was made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top