Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2012 2:58:29 AM EDT
Did a search here and on Google; Google so far has been no help. Sorry for the impending wall of text, I'll try to keep it simple.

Computer gets left alone, screen goes into screensaver mode.
Computer gets woke up after X amount of minutes.
I get a BSOD,it does a memory dump and shuts down within 10 seconds.
It restarts automatically to run a CHKDSK scan, goes through the process and reboots.

Computer is sluggish, but runs...

Today, I go thru the same cycle as aforementioned except that now on restart, I get an error.
0x80070005
Access Denied
Your copy of Windows is not genuine.

Download malwarebytes, run a scan for 2.5 hours. Turns up nothing.
Run Avast for roughly the same amount of time, again - nothing.

Did some reading on Google, so far it's saying the only thing to do is to re-install Windows but I don't have a disk; Win7 was preinstalled. Yes, I know, shoulda made the backup when prompted.

Can any of you tell me what the ho-ho-hell is going on?

ETA: laptop is roughly 2 years old....
ETA2: is it still safe to do online banking as it is? Avast is still running but other inquiring minds in the family want to know for sure...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
"Computer is sluggish but runs"

My guess is you had a hardware failure of some kind and now it's sluggish.  Open it up and re-seat the ram, the hard drive and any other "option" components that you can.

Having the hardware change will trigger the "you must register your windows" thing.  Often, it will let you if you haven't done it recently. (Their dirty little secret used to be they'd let you re-use the code if only certain things had changed, or after a certain period of time had passed since the last registration.

There is a program from microsoft you can download to "re register after malware" that might work. (It did for me, my problem turned out to be a hard drive was going.)

Until the reason for the computer being sluggish has been determined, DO NOT USE IT FOR BANKING.  Just NO NO NO.

Download a Live CD and use that, it'll be safer.  Malwarebytes is a good program, but it's not perfect so you may still be infected.  My guess is though, hardware is the problem.

There might be an error message about the BSOD in the event viewer that tells you what part might be involved.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps I should clarify, I'm wondering if it isn't just the base's internet that's just slow.

I can open programs, tabs on FireFox etc. the same as I'm used to, but I'll avoid e-banking for now.

We'll see where this takes us Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
is the computer dusty or dirty on the inside? that will cause it to run hot and shut down, same thing if the cooling fan is not working properly
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:16:59 AM EDT
[#5]
1) Sluggish and slow computers are a sign that you may have insufficient physical memory (RAM) or your harddrive is eather badly fragmented or about to croak.  Start moving critical files to external storage NOW.

2) Look on the bottom of the laptop for Certificate of Authenticity.  If it's still there you should have no problem reactivating.

3) Reseating memory will not "trick" Windows into thinking you've changed your hardware.  Go ahead and do it and see if it helps.  In fact, if you have two DIMM's try using one at a time and see if your laptop BSOD's again, then you'll have your culprit.

4) Forget Avast, Malware bytes etc.. Download Microsoft Security Essentials, it's comprehensive and it's free.

5) Consider reinstalling Windows from scratch.  It'll feel like you have a brand new computer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
give us the model number of the laptop, it could have the cd's on a seperate parition on the drive

just remember 7 downloads updates automatically in the background.   after a fresh install it will run slower because its downloading and eventually installing updates in the background

L455D-S5976

Will crack this sucker open after I write down this stuff to see if it's a cleaning issue. It was in the Arabian Gulf last year.....

Guys, thanks! I'll keep yall updated...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a new plan of action...

After I get an external drive for all my documents I'm gonna wipe this sucker clean.
I discovered a Toshiba backup wizard by hitting F8 on start up. It gave me options to fix RAM issues, startup issues and the last one appeared to be a clean install of Win7.

I'll report back when I get the thing wiped, internals cleaned out & reseated and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It appears that you have found how to access the recovery partition. Almost all computers today come with a recovery partition that allows you to restore the computer to factory defaults. Every one is different, but a google of the computer make and model along with "how to access recovery partition" should get you the answer. It will wipe any data you have so I would suggest doing a Windows Easy Transfer, then restore the computer to factory defaults, then do Windows Easy Transfer again to restore your files. Or you can just drag your files onto an external drive and drag them back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#9]
the internet on base is fucking slower than shit, mediatti sucks ass.

I come back to work on the 3rd, working at K5R.. bldg 3481 on the South Side just past the AMC passenger terminal (big ass yard on the right). feel free to drop by any time.

I am Air Trans by trade but am also a flight computer guy... I have tools to run tests on the laptop. IM sent too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top