Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 4:43:06 PM EDT
Hi There Techies!

I have a quick WiFi question.

Had a Linksys WRT54G for quite a while (like years). I have recently suspected that somebody in the neighborhood has been getting free interwebz. This will not do!

So, I finally figured out how to setup my network and secure it. I think. The instructions made no sense so I started clicking around on the router admin/settings page. There were all sorts of fields and tabs. I just clicked on one, the 'Wireless Security' tabs and set it up as a 'WPA Personal' secure network and entered my password. I then had to reconnect through my PC and it worked! My WiFI shows it with a lock on it. I did the same for my PS3.

I am confident it is locked down but was wondering if there is anything else I need to do? First, is WPA as good as any? I see a lot of WPA2 in the neighborhood. Also, it made me choose a 'Group Key Renewal'. I entered 3600 seconds (one hour). Does this mean I will have to reset my password every hour? I can't figure out how to remove it, I am forced to enter a time in seconds.

Just making sure I am good to go. It was way too easy connecting my PS3 to it as well. Everybody has told me it is super hard and a pain. Just looking for reassurance and the answer to the Group Key Renewal question.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
WPA2 encryption is better than WPA but someone running Reaver wifi hacker can break through it.  The only real assurance is to eliminate the wifi and use a hard line.

3600 sec for group key renewal is fine.  Don't worry about.  Google "Group key renewal" to learn more about it if you want to.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What's this Google business?

Nah, I checked it out and it makes sense. Thanks for the assist.

Think I am ready for the pros!

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You can log in to your router's config page and see all the wi-fi connections. This will let you know how many clients are connected.

Usually, you'll log into 192.168.1.1. You'll need to enter the username and password. Your's are probably still set to the default. Hit Google and you can find the default values to enter. And then change your user/pass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top