Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2012 8:30:44 AM EDT
Don't want a Mac.  Do want lightweight, portable.  Decent size screen, 13" is probably as low as I would want to go.  Needs bluetooth.  I do not do gaming or cad cam, so it does not need to be top end.  Under a grand, but around $700 would be preferable.  The notebook I am replacing runs hot, I would prefer the new one not leave a red mark on my thigh (go ahead and joke).  

What do you suggest as to models, features, what is important, what is fluff?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't want a Mac.  Do want lightweight, portable.  Decent size screen, 13" is probably as low as I would want to go.  Needs bluetooth.  I do not do gaming or cad cam, so it does not need to be top end.  Under a grand, but around $700 would be preferable.  The notebook I am replacing runs hot, I would prefer the new one not leave a red mark on my thigh (go ahead and joke).  

Thanks

I don't think there is anything that meets all your requirements.  Thin form factors have drawbacks, which mostly relates to thermal performance.

I'd look into a lenovo x2230, best overall computer in that category.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks

Sony VAIO T Series SVT13122CXS 13.3-Inch Ultrabook.

Ultrabook is an awesome form factor.  The Sony comes with a Ivy Bridge Core i3 with a hybrid hard drive.  It's a solid computer and you will be more than happy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been advised to hold out for "cyber Monday" which is apparently the Monday after Thanksgiving.  That gives me time to look around.  

Also looks like a SSD is better than a regular hard drive or a hybrid.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Done.  How'd I do?  

The
ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E 13.3-inch ultrabook is a PC that's hard to top in
the looks department. Its strong but light aluminum body is accentuated
by a unique "spun" finish on its polished surfaces, and it's a
razor-thin 0.70 inches thick and weighs just 2.9 pounds.

• Durable 128 GB solid state drive enables faster startups and application launches than hard disk drives

• Tough, rigidly made unibody frame is enhanced by a shiny, brushed-metal finish

• Micro HDMI port lets you expand your entertainment possibilities on an HDTV

• Battery life of 6.5 hours* gives you plenty of time away from a power outlet

Items:  

$779.90

Shipping & Handling:  

$8.49

––––––

Total before tax:  

$788.39

Estimated tax to be collected:*  

$0.00

––––––

Order Total:  

$788.39

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Done.  How'd I do?  

The ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E 13.3-inch ultrabook is a PC that's hard to top in the looks department. Its strong but light aluminum body is accentuated by a unique "spun" finish on its polished surfaces, and it's a razor-thin 0.70 inches thick and weighs just 2.9 pounds.

• Durable 128 GB solid state drive enables faster startups and application launches than hard disk drives
• Tough, rigidly made unibody frame is enhanced by a shiny, brushed-metal finish
• Micro HDMI port lets you expand your entertainment possibilities on an HDTV
• Battery life of 6.5 hours* gives you plenty of time away from a power outlet
Items:                                                                                $779.90                                    
                                         Shipping & Handling:                                                                                $8.49                                    
                                 ––––––          
                                         Total before tax:                                                                                $788.39                                    
                                         Estimated tax to be collected:*                                                                                $0.00                                    
                                 ––––––          
                                                            Order Total:                                                                                                                   $788.39

You bought last year's model.

This is the comparable current version:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230467

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The one you posted is not SSD

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The one you posted is not SSD  

Is uses a hybrid HDD + SSD cache setup.  You wont find a current model zenbook with an SSD under the ~$900 range.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Which is why I bought a slightly older model.  SSD was more important than bleeding edge.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top