Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2012 10:39:27 AM EDT
I have several laptops we've lost admin account info for.  They are completely mine, to do with as I please.

They're running a mix of XP and Windows 2000.

I'd like to reset the admin passwords while preserving the other user accounts.  None of the known accounts are administrative.

I recall there was a way to do this by removing the hard drive, attaching it to a second windows machine as a slave drive, and going in through that OS and editing or removing a particular file.

Is it really that easy?

I'd hate to use an unknown third party tool which might install some weird crap while it does its thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always used this: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

ETA: You create a boot disk. Follow the prompts to assign a new password to the admin account. Reboot and login.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the above link works great
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  I'll give that a try.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have always used this: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

ETA: You create a boot disk. Follow the prompts to assign a new password to the admin account. Reboot and login.

+1 on this, but I've had better results just blanking the password, rebooting into Windows, then setting a new password.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
been a while since I've used it, but this has worked for me. It was in our customer support kbase

how to reset a local system administrator password without using 3rd party utilities
Text:
At the command window type in the following command, where the time set is 1 minute in the future.
example: at 16:30 /interactive cmd.exe
when the command is ran it will return the following display Added a new job with job ID = 1. this creates a new command prompt running as the local system (this account has higher privleges than the local administrator account and can reset the local admin password)
in the new command prompt run the following command witch launches the management console
mmc.exe
now go to file, add/remove snap-in. click add. double click computer management, click finish. click "close" click ok. you will now have the local computer managment console available with the ability to reset the local administrator password. reset the password and communicate this to the end user.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top