Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2012 6:53:00 PM EDT
I was wondering if someone could explain to me what I need to sign up for to get IOS updates for Cisco switches, and routers?

I assume I need to either pay for support, or pay for support per switch?

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Smartnet contract covering the device you need to update.  Cisco has gotten really picky about making sure equipment has coverage in place.  The web site now restricts what you can download and what you can't depending on the contracts associated with your account.

Depending on the device, the contracts can be fairly inexpensive though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was wondering if someone could explain to me what I need to sign up for to get IOS updates for Cisco switches, and routers?

Legally, you need to pay support per switch/router to get new IOS, and you need to pay for the image type you use.
In practice, I've never seen cisco check license vs what you download.

ETA: it appears I'm now wrong.  It's been a while.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally, you need to pay support per switch/router to get new IOS, and you need to pay for the image type you use.

Haven't worked with IOS version 15, have you...  
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 is more my speed
ETA: Got any of the Nexus gear?  I'm on the unix team so I don't get to play with it :(
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The older, more basic hardware is fairly easy to deal with. Some of the newer and more 'interesting' hardware had feature unlocks / IOS loads customized to your device. (as best I recall it from a few years ago)

What hardware and IOS versions do you have?
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 is more my speed
ETA: Got any of the Nexus gear?  I'm on the unix team so I don't get to play with it :(

I work for a reseller.  Yes, I have put in Nexus stuff really great but if you are using them for LAN and storage, get two of them for reduandancy.  The ASR stuff is really cool too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.

The hardware in question is:

WS-C3750G-12S-S
2960-24TC-L

What is the easiest way to enroll these in SMARTnet coverage if I wanted to go that route?

I will have to look up the Honeywell approved IOS revisions tomorrow to know what rev. I need.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

The hardware in question is:

WS-C3750G-12S-S
2960-24TC-L

What is the easiest way to enroll these in SMARTnet coverage if I wanted to go that route?

I will have to look up the Honeywell approved IOS revisions tomorrow to know what rev. I need.

Go to the cisco web site and look for a local reseller.  They can quote out some smartnet contracts for you.

If you need to change feature sets for the devices, you will have to pay for them in addition to the smartnet.  EG:  Going from IP Base to IP Advanced Services...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top