Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 4:01:52 PM EDT
I have a fairly old machine with XP on it. I want to upgrade it to Vista 64bit as that is the best my motherboard can handle. This is a gaming computer and I want to take advantage of the 6gb of memory it has but xp only reads 3gb at most. The 64 bit will read it all. Does anyone know a source other than ebay for a reasonable price?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would skip Vista and go right to Win7 64bit. It should not be any more resource intensive than vista, maybe even less.

Shop around, you can find copies online for a pretty decent price. If you work for a larger company might want to look into a company discount.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Is your hardware 64bit?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
As others have suggested skip vista and go directly to windows 7 64 bit. Vista is a turd.

If you post your motherboard AND processor model numbers, we can make sure 64bit os will work for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I will do that tomorrow. I was looking at vista since I would have to get a new compatible mother board to get windows 7. I just want to be able to get the use out of the on board memory. I was advised by the tech my machine would use Vista but not windows 7 as it is. I wonder how hard it would be to just try and get xp in the 64 bit version?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to this page and download the 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise, this should tell you if you motherboard will support any version of Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will do that tomorrow. I was looking at vista since I would have to get a new compatible mother board to get windows 7. I just want to be able to get the use out of the on board memory. I was advised by the tech my machine would use Vista but not windows 7 as it is. I wonder how hard it would be to just try and get xp in the 64 bit version?

Very odd. system boards, ie the chipsets, are rarely tied to OS version. actually, i can't think of a time in the past 15 years where it was.

Difficult as MS no longer sells. Plus you don't want it, as it was MS's first public foray into 64bit, never intended as a mainstream product and i've read it had ... issues.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go to this page and download the 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise, this should tell you if you motherboard will support any version of Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495

will that interfere with the OS already on the computer?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The only thing that would keep you from using Win7 is the drivers for your motherboard. If you know the make and model of motherboard, go to the manufacturers website and see if drivers are available for that board with win7 64. If so your golden, to be honest I cant imagine a Vista generation board out there that would have drivers for Win7. The only way your tech friend would know if your board would work with win7 or not is if he went to the Manufacturers website. If he didn't then he is just guessing and you need to quit listening to him.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very odd. system boards, ie the chipsets, are rarely tied to OS version. actually, i can't think of a time in the past 15 years where it was.

Difficult as MS no longer sells. Plus you don't want it, as it was MS's first public foray into 64bit, never intended as a mainstream product and i've read it had ... issues.  

It was based off of windows server, which was mainstream (as far as server OS goes).

I used it on a few computers for years and didn't have any issues other than sometimes not being able to get drivers. If you can get the drivers, I'd give it a try (assuming you don't want to simply try win7 x64, which is better).
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not just run the Windows 7 Compatibility Wizard?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was based off of windows server, which was mainstream (as far as server OS goes).

I used it on a few computers for years and didn't have any issues other than sometimes not being able to get drivers. If you can get the drivers, I'd give it a try (assuming you don't want to simply try win7 x64, which is better).

No. No. No. No. No.

Windows XP 64 bit is a horrible implementation of "64bit" - stay away
Windows Vista 64bit was much, much, much better but the OS itself was buggy - stay away
Windows 7 64 bit is better yet. It is the refined progression.

This is coming from a guy that started on Solaris Sparc x64 in the 90's in an industry that relied on x64 bit computing (engineering simulation and CAD graphics)
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. No. No. No. No.

Windows XP 64 bit is a horrible implementation of "64bit" - stay away
Windows Vista 64bit was much, much, much better but the OS itself was buggy - stay away
Windows 7 64 bit is better yet. It is the refined progression.

This is coming from a guy that started on Solaris Sparc x64 in the 90's in an industry that relied on x64 bit computing (engineering simulation and CAD graphics)

Say what you will... XP64 worked great for me. All programs worked, didn't have crashes or lockups (less than 32bit XP, actually) and worked with almost all my hardware.

Obviously YMMV. I considered it a great OS and went directly from it as my primary workstation OS to 7x64. Getting drivers for certain RAID cards was the only problem I remember having.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've been using a copy* of vista 64 w sp2 for a while, no issues.

Most of the windows 7 core drivers are the vista ones, at least that is what the build date has.. jun 2006.

* came with computer i got for free.

>> It was based off of windows server, which was mainstream (as far as server OS goes).
Derp, this is true.  Still, don't use it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input. I will hook up the system and run that wizard tonight. I will post back after that in this entry. Thanks again.

here are the system specs:
OS NameMicrosoft Windows XP Professional
Version5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
System NameSILVERSTONE
System ManufacturerSystem manufacturer
System ModelSystem Product Name
System TypeX86-based PC
Processorx86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3015 Mhz
BIOS Version/DatePhoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1301, 9/16/2010
SMBIOS Version2.4
Windows DirectoryC:\WINDOWS
System DirectoryC:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume1
LocaleUnited States
Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User NameSILVERSTONE\Admin
Time ZoneCentral Standard Time
Total Physical Memory4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory2.47 GB
Total Virtual Memory2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory1.96 GB
Page File Space5.09 GB
Page FileC:\pagefile.sys

wind 7 checker:
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
Computer Name:  
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Memory: 3.3 GB

Information about upgrading to 32-bit Windows 7
System Details
Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP  
Outlook Express This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
Windows Aero support Your graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
CPU speed: 3.0 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
3.3 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.  
161.9 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.  

Devices Status Details
HP Deskjet D1400 series
Hewlett-Packard Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
NVIDIA Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
USB Audio Device
(Generic USB Audio) Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
Adobe AIR
version 2.6.0.19140
Adobe Systems Incorporated Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get a free update to a compatible version
HP Photosmart Essential
version 1.12.0.46
HP Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Java(TM) 6 Update 25
version 6.0.250
Oracle  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo
NVIDIA nView 135.85
version 135.85
NVIDIA Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
version 2.0.5000.0
Microsoft Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Windows Live Essentials
version 14.0.8117.0416
Microsoft Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Steam
version 1.0.0.0
Valve Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo. A paid update to a newer version is also available.
Get the paid update
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
version 2.2.30729
Microsoft Corporation Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
Get the free update
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
version 10.3.181.26
Adobe Systems Incorporated Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
version 10.3.183.5
Adobe Systems Incorporated Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
Adobe Reader X (10.1.1)
version 10.1.1
HP Solution Center 8.0
version 8.0
HP Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
version 3.2.30729
Microsoft Corporation Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
version 3.5
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
version 4.0
Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86)
version 1.0.1215.0
Microsoft Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86)
version 1.0.1215.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
version 8.0.61001
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
version 9.0.30729
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
version 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
version 9.0.30729.6161
Windows Internet Explorer 8
version 20090308.140743
Windows Live Sync
version 14.0.8117.416
Windows Live Sign-in Assistant
version 5.000.818.5
Microsoft Corporation Paid update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A paid update is also available.
Get the paid update

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information
Requirement Details
Virtualization technology enabled Your PC supports the virtualization technology required for Windows XP Mode, and it is currently enabled.
3.3 GB of RAM Your PC memory meets the 2 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 32-bit Windows 7.
Extra 15 GB of free space Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

Information about upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7
System Details
Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 64-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP  
Outlook Express This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
Windows Aero support Your graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
CPU speed: 3.0 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
3.3 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 2 GB minimum requirement.  
161.9 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 20 GB free space for 64-bit Windows 7.  

Devices Status Details
HP Deskjet D1400 series
Hewlett-Packard Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
USB Audio Device
(Generic USB Audio) Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
Adobe AIR
version 2.6.0.19140
Adobe Systems Incorporated Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
HP Photosmart Essential
version 1.12.0.46
HP Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Windows Live Sign-in Assistant
version 5.000.818.5
Microsoft Corporation Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get a paid update to a compatible version
Java(TM) 6 Update 25
version 6.0.250
Oracle  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
NVIDIA nView 135.85
version 135.85
NVIDIA Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
version 2.0.5000.0
Windows Live Essentials
version 14.0.8117.0416
Steam
version 1.0.0.0
Valve Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo. A paid update to a newer version is also available.
Get the paid update
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
version 2.2.30729
Microsoft Corporation Free update available This program is compatible with Windows 7. A free update is also available.
Get the free update
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
version 10.3.181.26
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
version 10.3.183.5
Adobe Reader X (10.1.1)
version 10.1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
version 3.2.30729
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
version 3.5
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
version 4.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
version 8.0.61001
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
version 9.0.30729
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
version 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
version 9.0.30729.6161
Windows Internet Explorer 8
version 20090308.140743
Windows Live Sync
version 14.0.8117.416

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information
Requirement Details
Virtualization technology enabled Your PC supports the virtualization technology required for Windows XP Mode, and it is currently enabled.
3.3 GB of RAM Your PC memory meets the 3 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 64-bit Windows 7.

Look like it passes according to microsoft
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Its an older system, but it will run 7 just fine. I used to use that exact Motherboard in some of my builds several years ago, the win7 drivers are available from Asus and Nvidia with no problems. Also I checked on your HP Printer, HP has drivers for that as well so it looks like your GTG. Make sure and have all your drivers downloaded and on a thumb drive before you start the wipe and reload process, it will help.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Will do, windows 7 here i come.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top