Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 7:45:04 AM EDT
Two things....

1. I like to have my minimized windows in order. ADD / OCD / whatever you want to call it. If a program crashes, it goes to the end of the line when I re-open it. I am then faced with either being all discumbobulated, or closing everything and reopening it in sequence....  

Can the minimized windows at the bottom of the screen be re-organized?

2. I leave caps lock on a lot. So, I'll get a couple of sentences out hunting and pecking, only to realize it is all caps or all lower case. I think one time I saw someone highlight a bunch of text and hit some magic key to swap between caps and lower case. Does this magical key or secret series of keystrokes exist?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1. Can the minimized windows at the bottom of the screen be re-organized?

In WinVista and Win 7, yes. XP and older are SOL.

2. I think one time I saw someone highlight a bunch of text and hit some magic key to swap between caps and lower case. Does this magical key or secret series of keystrokes exist?

This application specific. Microsoft Word toggles caps using Shift-F3, but I'm not aware of anything like that in Windows.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

I guess I am just SOL....
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
For the task bar, try the different configurations, i.e. height and location on the screen. (You can drag and drop it to the sides or top.)  Also, "alt-tab" on the keyboard will pop up a box that has the icons for the running programs in it, press repeatedly to find the one you want and "enter" and you can switch fast. I know of no way to re-organize open windows. Sorry.

Windows 7 has the "hover over button on task bar and show me a thumbnail" function to help you find windows.

For the caps lock, just pry the damn key off the keyboard.   You won't hit it accidentally then.  It will still be usable with a fingernail or pencil or something. But, once you do that you learn pretty quickly how to type in all caps without the caps lock.  It's a throwback to typewriter days and should be discarded.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For the caps lock, just pry the damn key off the keyboard.   You won't hit it accidentally then.  It will still be usable with a fingernail or pencil or something. But, once you do that you learn pretty quickly how to type in all caps without the caps lock.  It's a throwback to typewriter days and should be discarded.

An easier option is probably to go into the Control Panel, Accessibility / Ease of Access, Keyboard easier to use, Toggle Keys.

By turning on the toggle keys, they will beep when you hit them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top