Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 11:52:29 AM EDT
So I have an old Compaq Proliant ML310 server sitting around and have been thinking about doing something with it.

The specs are:

5U Tower
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz processor
1 GB RAM (expandable up to 4 GB)
Two (2) 77 GB hard drives
DVD-ROM drive
1.44 MB floppy drive
Integrated ATI Rage XL with 8 MB SDRAM video
Integrated NC7760 PCI Gigabit Server Adapter
Power Supply: 300W 100 - 240V 50/60 Hz

Any ideas of what you guys would do with it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That's about 9 years old by the processor class.  

Donate it to a school.    

Everything in it is nine years old.  You could upgrade it to a modern motherboard and upgrade everything else, but it's

old and its reliable days are numbered.

Be sensible about it.  No need to throw money into a 9 year old computer.   That's not profitable.   Any money spent on upgrading

it would be better spent on buying a new machine.

The only advantage this unit might ever offer is server reliability...but that no longer applies when it's got nine years on the clock.

No matter what it is, it's well worn and electronic components are getting tired.  

CJ

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Donate it to a school.    

Everything in it is nine years old.  You could upgrade it to a modern motherboard and upgrade everything else, but it's

Be sensible about it.  No need to throw money into a 9 year old computer.   That's not profitable.   Any money spent on upgrading

The only advantage this unit might ever offer is server reliability...but that no longer applies when it's got nine years on the clock.
No matter what it is, it's well worn and electronic components are getting tired.  

CJ

Pretty much the conclusion I have come to.  

I was going to throw Ubuntu server on it and use for FTP or some shit.  I don't even think it would get much use, though.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Donate it to a school.    

CJ

Pretty much exactly what CJ said.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Max out the ram slam in a few terabyte drives and use it as a windows home server. I have one pretty close to that spec backing up all the computers in my house (7) and streaming media. I am thinking of adding some automation next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top