Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2010 7:31:33 PM EDT
Dual core i3 with Hyperthreading, theoretically running at 4+ GHz, vs true quad-core Phenom II at 3-3.5GHz.  Basic desktop use, lots of Google Earth, some streaming, very little gaming, and very, very heavy multitasking under Win7.  System will have 8GB RAM and I expect 4-6GB will be in use at any given time (lots and lots of apps open)

Comments?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
without much thought*.... the amd.

* that is, a snap judgment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the AMD... but i've been out of the market for over a year so my hardware knowledge is a bit rusty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd probably bet on the Phenom. For not much more than you'd spend on a Phenom II X4 though, you can probably get an i5 (like the 750) that performs a good bit better at stock speeds.

From what it sounds like, either would probably do just fine for you though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the AMD... I believe they have more cache and if you get a board with DDR3 memory, max it out. Memory means every bit as much as MHz/GHz.

That said, your really talking about less than 5% performance difference either way between the two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top