Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 10:53:32 PM EDT
I'm trying to understand something about 3g and searching for info only got me more confused.

I have a CDMA phone (therefore no SIM card) with 3g internet access. Since I'm paying for that 3g service, does that mean I can buy a 3g USB dongle and access the web with my computer? How would that work if there's no SIM card to insert? Or have the phone companies made this impossible?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you need to get with your provider.

I know that my laptop modem 3g services are not connected to 3g/Internet for my phones.

If I allowed Internet on my phones ( I do not!), the service would be an additional charge for that particular line.

I use Verizon Wireless.  Your provider may be different.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Verizon allows wired or bluetooth tethering without additional cost.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies. I have Verizon. Then is that as simple as getting a compatible dongle? If that's the case, what's their selling point for the Mobile Hotspot service (which they don't mention is an extra charge)?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Only for a few phones. Otherwise it's around $15-30 per month extra, depending on your plan.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
what phone do you have .

if its a smart phone PDAnet would be your easiest answer.

dumbphones...  i dont know.

edit

what's their selling point for the Mobile Hotspot service

the selling spot is that its magic to most people..  

they dont know what they can do with what they have.  

you can tell someone do this and that allday long  if its not "officially " supported by the carrier many/most people wont do it
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Droid X which I know I keep seeing commericals for it's mobile hotspot capability (for another $15/month). I just did a quick search for PDAnet and it looks interesting. Thanks for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top