Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2010 5:21:46 AM EDT
Recently, my network got taken out in a storm. had to rebuild from the ground up. Picked up a new Netgear WNR3500U. Loaded DD-WRT on it (never used this before) and it rocks. Only one problem, I can't get my USB drive to mount. Anyone experienced in this area? I did follow all the directions in the "optware, the easy way"  directions. For some reason, it just won't mount a drive. Drive is formatted ext3, is an 80gb mounted in a Blackx external. I'm at a loss. DD-WRT is pretty slick, but one of the main reasons for getting this router is for USB support. I don't want to go back to the factory firmware, but may if I have to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#1]
the current stable of dd-wrt has to be setup via the command line ala traditional UNIX way.  the management interface has not been coded for controlling the usb ports.

read the fucking manual.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#2]
what a cluster fuck.

One page says jffs is not needed. the other says you must have it.
One page says USB is configurable from the web interface, the other says only from CLI. A third says both.

The documentation is so expansive, that if you look long enough, you will find it contradicts itself.

From your link :"Some versions of dd-wrt have USB support built in and can be enabled via the web-GUI"

From my router:

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) mega

as for RTFM, see these instructions (followed to a T. Drive does not show up): http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way

lol...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it.

Unplug. Let sit for 5 minutes. Power up. Mounted like a charm!

rebooting/restarting did not work. Even though changed had o be comitted, a hard ,manual reboot was needed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't really add anything to the conversation except saying that DD-WRT is known to be a little flaky.

I ran DD-WRT for over a year but the QoS feature in it just didn't work (maybe it was my router, but a lot of others on the internets complain about it too)

Ended up buying a router that would run Tomato, man its nice!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't really add anything to the conversation except saying that DD-WRT is known to be a little flaky.

I ran DD-WRT for over a year but the QoS feature in it just didn't work (maybe it was my router, but a lot of others on the internets complain about it too)

Ended up buying a router that would run Tomato, man its nice!

I just wish that Tomato would incorporate an IPv4to IPv6 service like Hurricane Electric.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top