Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2010 7:38:04 AM EDT
I really need one for school right now, something more portable than this huge widescreen laptop that my wife has taken over.  Any suggestions?  I may end up selling an AR15 upper receiver to finance it, so I guess as inexpensive yet functional enough for light internet/word processing tasks is ideal.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Walmart, new egg, Sam's Club.

Don't spend more than $400.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Microcenter and Newegg.  I believe you can get the Dell netbook refurbished for $200.

I have had my eye on the netbooks for a long time, but every time I start to pull the trigger on one, I look over at the full size laptops that start at the same price.

Oh, and also, have you typed on one for very long?  The small, cramped keyboard is kind of a downer as well.  I love their portability, but I don't think they'd be real great for 'working on' all day...
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Verizon had a deal a while back.....$99 bucks with a two year contract....
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Check woot every day.  They had 249.00 Acers on Sunday and they seem to come up pretty often.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The wife picked up a refurb Acer at Microcenter for $199.  I was impressed by it when I got it set up yesterday.  Nice addition for travelling, surfing while on the couch, etc.  

+1 on getting used to a smaller keyboard, and a wireless mini-mouse is on my shopping list now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Check slickdeals, they come up on a regular basis on that site.
I would suggest fooling around with one running the apps you plan on using before you buy one. The little screens on some of them make it hard to see/do things you normally take for granted on a full sized lappy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the tips

I may have found a good EeePC online, one of the early ones, for $100.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Check woot every day. They had 249.00 Acers on Sunday and they seem to come up pretty often.

woot....
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Try Tiger Direct as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Start with newegg then price check amazon. Some times different colors are cheaper
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Ditto on checking NewEgg, Amazon, and Woot.  Whatever you get, upgrading the RAM to 2 GB total will make it run noticeable better than with the stock 1 GB that most have.  Also, the low end models from any brand usually have a 3 cell battery.  You'll be lucky to get 2 hours out of that before needing to plug it in.  You'll be a lot happier with a 6 cell battery.

Another brand to look at is MSI.  My MSI Wind has been great over the past year and a half.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top