Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2009 3:03:55 PM EDT
I have a long and storied history of dropping cameras , and as a result I'm in the market for a new one.  I'm looking for a simple point and shoot that will last more than 10 minutes.  I'll be the first to admit that I am not at all "good" at photography, but as we're going to Ireland in the spring, I'd like to be able to snap some shots that aren't horrible.  My husband is a decent photographer and has a "real" camera, so I don't need to compete with that.  Anyway, I'm debating between these:

Olympus Stylus Tough 6000

Olympus Stylus Tough 8000

Canon PowerShot D10

I don't have any plans for the camera to be near water, so I am not too worried about the waterproofing, but I am very worried about the gravity issues.  Any and all advice as to which I should get would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump because I *know* you all have to have an opinion!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
We have the Olympus 850SW. It takes the abuse of my 4-year-old and wife (not sure who's worse) but I think the picture quality sucks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Stylus Tough 6000, and generally like it.  It is great for my "new" lifestyle of travelling with an infant, spending time on the water, and generally beating the heck out of it.  Some down-sides:

1.  Shutter lag can be AWFUL in some lighting/focusing situations.
2.  Low-light performance is not ideal- the flash is too powerful on close subjects, and fairly short-range.
3.  Picture quality is generally pretty good, however, high-iso performance is what you expect from a p&s.  It just isn't there.

My observations to the good:

1.  The camera is pretty solidly constructed.  I have not tested the drop height claim, because I am kind of suspect of that one, but I HAVE spent a fair amount of time in/on the water with it (jetski, boat, pool), and it has survived just fine.  Underwater pictures can actually be pretty good, presuming adequate light (clear water, close to the surface).
2.  Some of my favorite pictures of my son are with this camera, because it was the one that I had, or the one that would survive where I was at right that moment.  The dSLR obviously does better, but I can't carry it in my pocket.
3.  The instructions say, "if you get it wet in anything other than clean water, rinse it off with clean water" - and I do this.  I dump bottled water on it when it gets salt water on it, it may be unnecessary, but the camera is in near perfect condition after 8 months of abuse/exposure.

I ultimately think these cameras are a little spendy when looking at just the camera features/image quality, but they are not badly priced when considering the ruggedness.  I would buy the 6000 again, I probably wouldn't (still) pony up for the 8000 unless I needed the additional ruggedness.  I can't see image quality changing a whole lot.

shooter
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the Stylus Tough 6000, and generally like it.  It is great for my "new" lifestyle of travelling with an infant, spending time on the water, and generally beating the heck out of it.  Some down-sides:

1.  Shutter lag can be AWFUL in some lighting/focusing situations.
2.  Low-light performance is not ideal- the flash is too powerful on close subjects, and fairly short-range.
3.  Picture quality is generally pretty good, however, high-iso performance is what you expect from a p&s.  It just isn't there.

My observations to the good:

1.  The camera is pretty solidly constructed.  I have not tested the drop height claim, because I am kind of suspect of that one, but I HAVE spent a fair amount of time in/on the water with it (jetski, boat, pool), and it has survived just fine.  Underwater pictures can actually be pretty good, presuming adequate light (clear water, close to the surface).
2.  Some of my favorite pictures of my son are with this camera, because it was the one that I had, or the one that would survive where I was at right that moment.  The dSLR obviously does better, but I can't carry it in my pocket.
3.  The instructions say, "if you get it wet in anything other than clean water, rinse it off with clean water" - and I do this.  I dump bottled water on it when it gets salt water on it, it may be unnecessary, but the camera is in near perfect condition after 8 months of abuse/exposure.

I ultimately think these cameras are a little spendy when looking at just the camera features/image quality, but they are not badly priced when considering the ruggedness.  I would buy the 6000 again, I probably wouldn't (still) pony up for the 8000 unless I needed the additional ruggedness.  I can't see image quality changing a whole lot.

shooter

Thanks!  I am concerned about the shutter lag as the last camera I had was friggin' annoying in that regard as well.  I'm thinking now that it will probably come down to price between the 6000 and the Canon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Shutter lag will be a problem with ANY P&S.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shutter lag will be a problem with ANY P&S.

Yep - it is just degrees of bad with these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top