Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 10:15:56 AM EDT
How do you do a black background on small things?  I tried this using black paper, but, it came out bright.  Just curious what everybody here uses.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
if using photoshop, use the select tool and select the background.  tweak the accuracy adjustment till it collect enough of the varying background.  Then use the paint bucket to fill the selection.

Theres prolly a better way, but thats what comes to mind.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Distance.  The ratio of:

A:  Distance from light source to subject
B:  Distance from subject to background

must be small.  (i.e., there's 2x-3x more distance from subject to backdrop than from light source to subject.)  Assuming your light source falls off "normally" (i.e., it isn't a focused beam), then getting the background far away makes it fall of quickly.  (Inverse square and all.)
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, you need a good amount of distance between your object and background. It also helps to be able to control your light.

This is a setup I've been wanting to try out once I stop buying firearm related items and buy a proper background.
http://www.diyphotography.net/light-up-the-floor-a-floor-lit-table-top-studio-project
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top