Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2008 5:23:37 PM EDT
How fooked am i?

It's  an awesome camera (i'm an amateur, so it more than fits the bill for what i need)

Had it at the range today. Set it up on the trippod, and was going to take some pics. A nice big gust of wind comes by, and tips it over...landing on the lens.

The lens isn't cracked, but there's a small scratch. when i take a picture, if the lighting is bright, you can see it in the upper right hand corner.  It's a Zeiss vario-tessar 2,7-4,5/5,2-78. don't know exactly what that means. I tried rubbing with a cloth, and it's definitly a scratch. camera fell face first into gravel and casings.

Is there any easy or cheap way to get a new lens? What about those scratch repair fluids/sticks?

I don't have the money for a new camera, and certainly dont' want to pay the price of a new camera to repair this one. Any suggestions?

(mandatory mspaint)
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your hosed.
The scratch repair fluids are a joke.
You need a better tripod.
Next time invest in a UV or protector filter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think your hosed.

I don't know if they make one for this type. But from what i've been reading, sounds like i am fooked. Crap. I mean, i know the quality on that scratched area is always going to suck, but still....if there were some way to fill it in or something, it wouldn't be as bad.

FWIW, the wind later knocked over a steel sign with a steel base. It was windy today. Of course, it wasn't that bad...till the camera got knocked over. then it got really windy.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think your hosed.

I don't know if they make one for this type. But from what i've been reading, sounds like i am fooked. Crap. I mean, i know the quality on that scratched area is always going to suck, but still....if there were some way to fill it in or something, it wouldn't be as bad.

FWIW, the wind later knocked over a steel sign with a steel base. It was windy today. Of course, it wasn't that bad...till the camera got knocked over. then it got really windy.  

Sucks man, there was wind warnings today throughout MN
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sucks man, there was wind warnings today throughout MN

we had wind warnings yesterday, but nothing today.

And after the camera tipped, my ciener kit for the AC556 broke. lol...been one heck of a day.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
send it back to Sony. Be prepared to pay maybe $100 to have it fixed. Well worth it; as it stands, your camera has no resale value and questionable value as a camera. You may have (not sure how your lens works) stripped something internal to the lens, too; ask me how I know .
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
send it back to Sony. Be prepared to pay maybe $100 to have it fixed.

As per sony:

"The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $171.00, (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price"
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
send it back to Sony. Be prepared to pay maybe $100 to have it fixed.

As per sony:

"The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $171.00, (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price"

Considering the retail price is ~$500, seems like a good deal. Live and learn.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you taken any pics with it?  Can you see it?  I had a lens that had a scratch like this, but it didn't affect the quality at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top